Re: (teach) Re: teaching Chinese Ss in Finland

  • don williamson
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 31, 2004
      --- Nancy Webert <sewbirdchina@...> wrote:
      > Nancy in US who is leaving tomorrow to teach Chinese in Finland.

      Whoops... I need to proof read. I didn't mean to sound like I can
      teach the Chinese language (certainly can't)....am going to teach
      Chinese students English in Finland.

      Reply:

      Yup, I kinda figured that's what you meant. Be careful you don't pick up a Finish accent while there. In fact some Fins I met during a visit there some years ago spoke flawless English. Seems strange: Yanks teaching Chinese Ss in Finland. Please keep the list posted?

      Don
    • don williamson
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
        dk <davkees@...> wrote:
        At this very moment, while writing this message, I have my 40 students
        writing an IELTS style 250-word essay in 40-minutes at the first day of our
        writing course. I will collect these and keep them until the end of the
        course. I will then have them do the same essay again. The difference will
        be acquisition and hopefully will clearly reveal improvement.

        Dave Kees
        ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

        Reply:
        Thank you Sir Dave for your always good advice. I won't be returning untill 05 and I never get assigned standard graded classes but I shall save your "advice sheet" as a good class overall curriculum to shoot for.

        Don
      • dk
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 1, 2004
          We are all going back to school, starting our classes again, starting some
          new classes.

          As Stephen Covey liked to say, Begin with the End in mind. It's a great time
          to think about how we would like to finish the year with our students. What
          do we want them to accomplish by the end of the year.

          It's also good to reflect on our previous year. What caused us unexpected
          problems that we can try to anticipate this time? What can we do better this
          time? What can we ask others to do better this time?

          Was your school ambiguous about the holiday schedule last year? Now is the
          time to bug them for the schedule. If they can't be specific then perhaps
          you should tell them that if you don't get the info by a certain date then
          you are planning on leaving your holiday on a certain date.

          Do you have a contract or at least an understanding written down on paper?
          We hear of so many problems between teachers and schools because they did
          things on a handshake but the two parties had different understandings of
          the details of the work. You may not need a contract but you should probably
          have the details of your agreement written on paper. Anticipate
          misunderstandings and make things crystal clear right now.

          How much are your students going to learn this year? Acquisition is always
          hard to establish, even when the students learn a lot. Very often students
          "feel" they didn't learn anything. How can you show your students that they
          know more when you are finished with them than when you started with them?
          You can test them now and then test them later. Dig out the test at the back
          of your book or prepare your final exam now or ask them to write an essay
          now at the first day of class.

          At this very moment, while writing this message, I have my 40 students
          writing an IELTS style 250-word essay in 40-minutes at the first day of our
          writing course. I will collect these and keep them until the end of the
          course. I will then have them do the same essay again. The difference will
          be acquisition and hopefully will clearly reveal improvement.

          Dave Kees
          ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
          davkees@... - Guangzhou, China - www.davekees.com
        • Nancy Webert
          Message 4 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
            > dk <davkees@p...> wrote:
            > At this very moment, while writing this message, I have my 40 students
            > writing an IELTS style 250-word essay in 40-minutes at the first day
            of our > writing course. I will collect these and keep them until the
            end of the > course. I will then have them do the same essay again.
            The difference will > be acquisition and hopefully will clearly reveal
            improvement.

            > don williamson <willdon13@y...> wrote:
            > I also appreciate this idea Dave....never too old to learn a new
            > trick. In China I was never really satisfied with my testing methods
            > which I hoped would reveal improvement vs memorized speech.

            I held my first "Intercultural Communication Business Class" here in
            Finland today and used a worksheet designed to test awareness of
            cultural differences around the world. I collected these and will hand
            them back after 8 weeks and have the students compare their first
            answers to the last. Hopefully some knowledge and understanding will
            have been attained along the way.

            Nancy, presently in Varkaus Finland
          • don williamson
            Message 5 of 18 , Sep 2, 2004
              Nancy Webert <sewbirdchina@...> wrote:

              > don williamson <willdon13@y...> wrote:
              > I also appreciate this idea Dave....never too old to learn a new
              > trick. In China I was never really satisfied with my testing methods
              > which I hoped would reveal improvement vs memorized speech.>>>>>

              Reply:....Sorry, I didn't write that but do agree.

              Seems like you just left the U.S. a couple of days ago. They didn't waste any time putting you & Mr. W. in the saddle.

              Don
            • Traci Arkinstall
              Message 6 of 18 , Sep 3, 2004
                Good morning all!
                I have a new job - and some of my classes will be teaching drama to grades (primary) 1,2,3 - the level of English at this school is quite high - does anyone know of any good websites with plays etc?? the grade 1's don't seem to mind singing (but not crazy about it) but the grade 2 and 3 students are NOT interested in singing.

                I have some experience teaching singing, dancing etc to kindergarten children... I would really to find some interesting material ... to 'get them all in...:"

                regards
                Traci
              • Glenys Wignes
                Message 7 of 18 , Sep 4, 2004
                  "�� teaching drama to grades (primary) 1,2,3 - the level of English at this
                  school is quite high - does anyone know of any good websites with plays
                  etc?? "

                  This is a wonderful opportunity to utilize Creative Dramatics!!! which
                  offers broad experience in English and is easily adapted to varying levels
                  of speaking ability, staging, costuming, props ��� and without a script.

                  Easily accessible at this level are:
                  Three Little Pigs
                  The Three Bears
                  Three Billy Goats Gruff
                  The Little Red Hen (who will help me ��)
                  Chicken Licken (the sky is falling ... ).
                  Gingerbread Boy

                  Contact me off-list if you wish to pursue this avenue.

                  Glenys Wignes
                • Barb Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 18 , Nov 23, 2004
                    Dave and Nancy: When you give these writing assignments do you tell the
                    students they will be getting it back and your purpose for doing this or are
                    they left to think it's only a written assignment to be done at that time?
                    Barbara Lindberg

                    Message 9 of 18 , Nov 24, 2004
                      > Barb Lindberg wrote:
                      > Dave & Nancy: "When you give these writing assignments do you tell
                      the students they will be getting it back and your purpose for doing
                      this, or are they left to think it's only a written assignment to be
                      done at that time?"

                      > My students know.
                      > Dave Kees

                      I told mine after they turned in the assignment....why they weren't
                      getting them back until a later date.

                      They were turned back prior to the final exam and it was pleasing to
                      me that several students commented on the exam paper that they
                      reassessed what they had written and could see some personal growth in
                      their own attitudes and prejudices re other cultures.

                      Nancy in US
                    • dk
                      Message 10 of 18 , Nov 24, 2004
                        Barb Lindberg wrote:
                        Dave & Nancy: "When you give these writing assignments do you tell the students they will be getting it back and your purpose for doing this, or are they left to think it's only a written assignment to be done at that time?"

                        My students know.

                        Dave Kees
                      • David
                        Message 11 of 18 , Nov 25, 2004
                          Hi Nancy,

                          I teach a business communication class at a US university where I
                          incorporate diversity information and I also teach diversity for business
                          organizations. My materials come from a variety of sources and I've created
                          some of my own. Now, I'm on my way to China to teach and I'll bring some
                          materials with me. Are you interested in sharing materials and successful
                          teaching techniques?

                          Regards,

                          David
                          >> Dave & Nancy: "When you give these writing assignments do you tell
                          > the students they will be getting it back and your purpose for doing
                          > this, or are they left to think it's only a written assignment to be
                          > done at that time?"
                          >
                          >> My students know.
                          >> Dave Kees
                          >
                          > I told mine after they turned in the assignment....why they weren't
                          > getting them back until a later date.
                          >
                          > They were turned back prior to the final exam and it was pleasing to
                          > me that several students commented on the exam paper that they
                          > reassessed what they had written and could see some personal growth in
                          > their own attitudes and prejudices re other cultures.
                          >
                          > Nancy in US
                          >

                          > _
                          > Yahoo! Groups Links

                        • dk
                          Message 12 of 18 , Aug 17, 2011
                            September is coming.

                            Counting down the days.

                            Will be teaching business English.

                            Doing things differently.

                            Thinking outside the book.

                            First term.

                            Project #1 - Lessons using Moodle connected to ESLpod.com. Flip the
                            classroom. Study at home, quiz and practice in the classroom. If students do
                            well, let them "test out" of the next lesson.

                            Project #2 - Reality check. Give students real assignment to call a business
                            in English to gather real information from real people, market research.
                            Study and practice language first. Review language learned in Project #1.

                            Project #3 - "Do you use English?" Students contact my former students who
                            have graduated to survey exactly how they use English in their current jobs,
                            accumulate samples, compile vocabulary, create lessons and quizzes for
                            class. Review language learned in Project #2.

                            Project #4 - Alternate reality check. Students develop and set-up own
                            imaginative businesses on class Moodle website. Other students call, Email,
                            inquire, negotiate, shop and buy from each other's "businesses". At end
                            students evaluate each other's participation and skill. Review language
                            learned in Project #3.

                            Project #5 - "Congratulations! You're hired! The guy you're replacing was
                            murdered." Students have to go through stacks of Emails, receipts, records,
                            phone messages and other material to unravel a mystery. Review language
                            learned in Project #4.

                            Second term?

                            Hmmm.

                            Dave Kees

                            Email - DAVEKEES@...

                            Chat - Skype:DAVEKEES

                            Blog - http://davekees.wordpress.com/

                            TEFL TEACHERS

                            Insights, ideas, opinions, tips, debates from TEFL teachers around the
                            world!

                            Blog - http://teflteachers.wordpress.com/

                            NOT sent from an iPad