Re:(teach)pronunciation of TH and other sounds

  • Jada Rufo
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
      Hi,

      As long as we're on the subject of pronunciation(particularly the /th/
      sound), does anybody have trouble teaching students who can't say the /v/,
      ./w/, and /s/ sounds?

      I'm now just about to go out and rent a copy of My Fair Lady. If you recall
      Professor Higgins places marbles in Eliza Doolittle's mouth just so that she
      could say "the rain in Spain stays maily in the plain" correctly. I'm not
      suggesting that we put marbles in our student's mouths. Just a thought.

      Jada

    • adams
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 2001
        Not marbles, but pens and pencils crosswise
        work well for Japanese and Korean students
        who have trouble with the /r/ /l/ sounds -- having
        them practice banging their tongues against the
        pens while calling out such phrases as "Rock& Roll"
        seems to help, but I still working on getting placed
        in China so I not sure about the Chinese..

        And bye the way, did you
        know that putting marbles in your month to practice
        speaking goes all the way back to Demosthenes,
        in 5th cent B.C. Greece?

        Cheers, Ben