Re: (teach) English/American culture

  • Margaret Orleans/Tom Bradley
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 8, 2000
      Nick asks:

      >find
      >myself having to teach American and English culture to 60 students for 90
      >minutes a week next term. Has anybody any suggestions as to what I should
      >do?

      When my husband taught a class like that in Fuzhou about fifteen years ago,
      the students were English majors who would be taking classes in American
      and British literature in the next couple of years. He tried to give them
      background that would help them with that literature by going through Bible
      narratives, Greek and Roman myths, holidays, major life events (birth,
      coming of age, marriage, death) and the ceremonies and customs associated
      with them, life in U.S. universities and the questions students their age
      would be grappling with--I think he ran out of time about there.

      --Peg