RE: Wanted: Assessment materials and methods.

  • Teri Eaton
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
      Re assessment methods and methods:
      I am sure this has been spoken of many times...
      I have English Majors [freshmen] to test for Oral English. There are 128 of them , and the final assessment, one among several of course, is worth 50%, and I am not sure how best to do it? If I allow 15 mins per student including turn around & Recording time that is 30 hours. What do you think is a reasonable amount of time per student? I want to have one to one as they are all good at understanding the Chenglish they use to each other,. I also want to have time to sort out the individual problems that i need to work on next semester.
      Any suggestions would be most welcome
      Many thanks
      Teri

    • karenstanleyma
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
        Teri Eaton wrote:
        > I have English Majors [freshmen] to test for Oral English. There
        are 128 of them , and the final assessment, one among several of
        course, is worth 50%, and I am not sure how best to do it?
        ----

        One resource is

        Speaking Exams:
        a compiled discussion, 24 May 2001 through 7 May 2003

        available off the TEFLChina website (different from our
        Yahoogroups website):
        http://teflchina.org/teach/speak/exams1.htm

        Also available off the same website is

        Testing speaking -- Roger Chrisman, 30 Apr 1999
        http://teflchina.org/teach/speak/index.htm#testing-speaking

        Karen Stanley
        karen.stanley @ cpcc.edu
        Charlotte, North Carolina, USA
      • Frank Doonan
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2003
          Dave

          The assessment system is still somewhat on the drawing board, but I am using it and testing it. The reason I asked for more sources is so far I have been doing this alone and I want more in put from others to develop this system. I work better in a group consultative atmosphere. I am interested in doing a workshop and demonstrate it in the future and get feed back from other teachers.

          Similar assessment systems have been developed and used by Berlitz, Princeton, Linguarama and others, but none have that I know of have been tailored to fit the problems of teaching English as a foreign language in the orient. These other systems are sort of a one size fits all for the world primarily tested in the west not in China. Some test for rules and definitions. This assessment system is not a test where the student is asked about rules and definitions. It is heavily weighted on the ability of the student to use English, not describe it.

          Grammar is tested in the context of conversation with the student beginning with simple tenses in level one. Grammar and vocabulary is also tested in short writing tests using a topic and the vocabulary words provided. Each higher level (2-5 or 2-10) using progressively more difficult grammar.

          The test for vocabulary in each level is strongly dependent on the student being able to properly use the words in context while speaking and writing. The student is not asked to define the word.

          The examiner has pronunciation check list to record the pronunciation errors the student makes in conversation.

          I will share more about this system if you or others are interested. I don't think I can use attachments on this site, but If it could be arranged I would share some of the materials used for comment in the near future.

          Frank

          dk <davkees@...> wrote:

          That sounds really cool, Frank. Can you share it with us?

          Dave Kees
          Guangzhou

        • Frank Doonan
          Message 4 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
            My proposed assessment is similar to testing but I am not testing. I just go up the scale of difficulty until the student is unable to correctly us the grammar and vocabulary and comprehension falls off.

            When testing Oral English class I usually set goals and objectives of the class for the students to achieve early in the class and test the students on those. If it is a large class I test in small groups. The test may be a dialogue between the students and me on a topic. The test lasts about twenty minutes and I vary the topic with each student or student group.

            Cheating does not work well, because the students usually don't know how I am grading the conversations, but they are always trying to figure out a way to cheat.

            Frank

            Teri Eaton <terieaton2000@...> wrote:
            Re assessment methods and methods:
            I am sure this has been spoken of many times...
            I have English Majors [freshmen] to test for Oral English. There are 128 of them , and the final assessment, one among several of course, is worth 50%, and I am not sure how best to do it? If I allow 15 mins per student including turn around & Recording time that is 30 hours.

          • dk
            Message 5 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
              I'm quite interested in this sort of thing and could probably put your
              materials on my site if you want a way to share them with others. I've put
              some of my stuff up there as well.

              I've discussed this issue extensively (and exhaustively) and don't want to
              bore everyone with it again, it's in the archives. Your second message on
              this subject sounded like you had developed a list of common errors so you
              would check if the student was doing them and then made a to-do list to work
              on them.

              Now in messages 3 & 4 it sounds like general assessment again and from what
              I've learned from going over about a dozen books on it, hundreds of papers
              and sites of research and my own experience as an IELTS examiner, general
              assessment doesn't work well for measuring short term training even if it's
              one school year.

              I won't repeat everything, but in a nutshell, for subjective tests (like
              essay grading, speaking) you can't have more than 10 levels and even scoring
              for that is only 85% accurate with highly trained professional examiners.

              Now if you had a list of common errors and you targeted those it would be
              much easier to create concrete improvement. OR, what I advocate in these
              situations, is to test the students on what you are going to teach them.
              They will likely fail or score very low. Then teach them. Then test them
              again. If you and they did a good job there should be a dramatic
              improvement.

              Dave Kees
              Guangzhou

              ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
              Reflective teaching in China
              www.davekees.com
            • Catherine Hemenway
              Message 6 of 14 , Dec 4, 2003
                I'd love to hear more about it and participate in testing if I'm anywhere in
                your area at the time. In other lists I'm a member of it's possible for the
                moderator to upload files. Can this be done through yahoogroups? Then
                members could go to the yahoogroups site and access the files.

                Catherine
                Liaoning Institute of Technology
                Jinzhou

                Message 7 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                  I'm definitely interested in this, Frank, and would love to hear what you've
                  come up with.
                  Marilyn
                • Teri Eaton
                  Message 8 of 14 , Dec 5, 2003
                    Many thanks everyone for very helpful comments and advice - now I just need to get on and choose!!!

                    Teri Eaton