File - _______________L i s t__FAQ_______________

  • teflchina@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 29 , Dec 1, 2003
      hi all,

      reminder: everyone is welcome to post. Thank You all for being helpful, *friendly* and thank you for being here!

      list rules
      ----------

      1. *friendliness first* -- this is a public list -- avoid attacking anyone --
      emails sting so easily. be kindly and understanding,
      no immoderate or cutting language. (resolve list conflicts
      privately, or email list feedback to: roger@... -- I care
      and need your feedback, possitive and negative. Thanks!)

      2. Subject lines -- be specific, informative:

      "Oral exams, 3 minute interviews" -(teach)

      "Hangzhou, Zhejiang Uni. summer job" -(job)

      "Mandarin on the train" -(life)

      (2b)
      be on topic --> rethread to a branch list if necessary:
      teflchina@yahoogroups.com (discusses teaching),
      teflchinajob@yahoogroups.com (discusses jobs/employment issues),
      teflchinalife@yahoogroups.com (discusses teaching)

      *list topics/addresses are also in every message footer*

      3. in replies, quote only a few lines, above your reply, discussion
      style. d e l e t e b o t t o m q u o t e s
      -- bottom quotes are redundant and havock,
      in the list digests and archives.

      4. reference anything that is not yours, at top.

      5. get the author's permission before forwarding email and indicate
      that you have it at beginning of post. a brief intro is nice,
      too.

      6. plain text only. No HTML messages or attachments.
      BUT if you have a China photo! :-) or formatted file for
      listers, just email it :-) to <roger@...>. He can
      upload it to the list Web site, teflchina.com, and give
      you the URL (web page address) and you can post that.

      7. no cross-posting 8-} do not post the same message to more than
      one of the lists in our field *at one time*, i.e.
      TESL-L, Red-dragon, ChinaKids, ELTASIA-L, TTL, TEFLChina,
      TEFLChinaJob, TEFLChinaLife -- listers have already seen it!
      more about these lists: http://teflchina.com/lists

      8. no advertising.
      job opening and professional announcements *are* welcome
      (when *informative*) on TEFLChinaJob. See required job post
      details at http://teflchina.com/welcome/job_ads.htm

      unsubscribe
      all three addresses can go in one email's to line, separated by commas.
      + then reply to the *confirmation requests* yahoogroups sends you.

      (unsubscribe instructions are also in every message footer.)

      if it does not work, email <roger@...>, explain, and
      include any error messages yahooproups sent you, including its full headers.
      the headers provide details that improve my ability to help you. to get the
      full headers, you may need to adjust your email client's preferences.

      subscribe
      ---------

      to subscribe, send a blank email to:
      teflchina-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
      teflchinajob-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
      teflchinalife-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
      all three addresses can go in one email's to line, separated by commas.
      + then reply to the *confirmation requests* yahoogroups sends you.

      change address?

      post
      ----

      everyone is warmly welcome to post -- your questions, answers, ideas,
      comments, China experiences, etc! (see list rules, above).
      the list addresses to post to are provided in every message footer.

      web site
      ------

      . archives . guestbook . faq . teaching . job . life . email-lists .

      * home page ---> http://teflchina.com
      * list-FAQ -------> http://teflchina.com/welcome
      * archives -------> http://escribe.com/education/teflchina
      ----------------------> http://escribe.com/education/teflchinajob
      ----------------------> http://escribe.com/education/teflchinalife

      list user group?
      -------------

      why not do a local outing or get-together with listers in *your*
      city. set a date and tell them on TEFLChinaLife.

      h a v e f u n!

      Cheers, from the list volunteers --

      moderators JEFF KRUSE
      TONY LEE
      SAM SHIMEK
      TONY GILBERT
      KAREN STANLEY
      LESLIE SIRAG
      BRUCE PRINCE
      SHAWN MANDERS

      web master ROGER CHRISMAN

      voice of teachers in China *Y*O*U*

      ~ _o_
      \(___)s
      Uu uU
      Teaching English as a Foreign Language in China * teflchina.com
      a teachers' network on the Net

      List FAQ - updated 2003.01.01
    • fshdt
      Message 2 of 29 , Dec 1, 2003
        teflchina@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        > hi all,
        >
        > reminder: everyone is welcome to post. Thank You all for being
        helpful, *friendly* and thank you for being here!

        > list rules
        > ----------
        >
        > 1. *friendliness first* -- this is a public list -- avoid attacking
        anyone --
        > emails sting so easily. be kindly and understanding,
        > no immoderate or cutting language.

        Thanks for the reminder. I have been holding back with difficulty for
        the past couple of days. My family suggested amputating my six typing
        fingers - the final solution.

        It was Don's post that sparked uncharitable thoughts:

        > I will, in the near future be returning to China to teach American
        > Culture to (young) In Service University Teachers.... It is my
        > expectation that even for a short (14 wk) semester & even with the
        > usual class plan digression, I will quickly run out of American Culture.

        So I say nothing. No jokes, no jibes. Or maybe my family will divest
        me of my digits as smoothly and swiftly as loan sharks over a defaulter.

        In fact I'll try and be serious. I think I'd source materials from the
        internet. Like Karen says, attitudes and behaviour are more important
        than artifacts (and festivals, though attitudes to festivals are
        important as are attitudes to artifacts - look at the US and Chinese
        reverence for the flag and compare it with some other countries).

        I think the non-monolithic nature of US culture is important. The
        Chinese view comes from their own channels and a very narrow opening
        into US news and information, an opening controlled more or less by
        the powerful in the US. I'd say the cultures of the ethnic groups, the
        lower classes, the poor, the multiplicity of US cultures needs
        explaining because China doesn't acknowledge this fully in its own
        peoples.

        And how about the tough parts? Do you feel you are a representative,
        an advert for US culture, a completely independent observer or just
        someone trying to give a reasonable view? Individual US teachers are
        welcomed here but the US is generally considered one of the most
        dangerous, aggressive and least trustworthy countries in the world
        (with my own country trailing but well up on the list, too). This
        perception of an aggressive culture needs to be explored and treated
        with some sensitivity. If you ignore it and present turkey and
        thanksgiving, your objectivity will be compromised. Don's been here
        before and I guess you know the score, but I'd still look at the
        outside world's views on US culture and I would read Sardar and
        Davies, 'Why Do People Hate America?' despite its aggressive title.

        You could say that Chinese get plenty of negative views of US culture
        from their government but, strangely, government never seems to target
        the negative aspects that I consider important. The USSR used to
        present the UK as a Charles Dickens country with brutal factory owners
        keeping the workers down when the evils of racism in my country were
        causing far more damage to the fabric of society (Thatcher years
        excepted).

        Too brief. I reckon I could do a semester on US culture and a lifetime
        on my culture, if only I had one.

        Dick
      • TEFLChina@yahoogroups.com
        Message 3 of 29 , Jan 1, 2004
          hi all,

[...]

          List FAQ - updated 2003.01.01
        • TEFLChina@yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 29 , Feb 1, 2004
            hi all,

            Thank You for being helpful, *friendly* and thank you for being here!

            list rules
            ----------

            1. *friendliness first* - this is a public list, avoid attacking anyone -
            emails sting so easily. be kindly and understanding,
            no immoderate or cutting language. (resolve list conflicts
            privately, or email list feedback to: roger at teflchina dot org
            - I care and need your feedback, positive and negative. Thanks!)

            2. Subject lines - be specific, informative:

            "Oral exams, 3 minute interviews" <--(teach)

            "Hangzhou, Zhejiang Uni. summer job" <--(job)

            "Mandarin on the train" <--(life)

            (2b)
            be on topic --> rethread to a branch list if necessary.
            teflchina@yahoogroups.com (discusses teaching)
            teflchinajob@yahoogroups.com (discusses jobs/employment issues)
            teflchinalife@yahoogroups.com (discusses all the rest)

            *see list topics and addresses in any message footer*

            3. in replies, quote only a few lines, above your reply,
            discussion style. d e l e t e b o t t o m q u o t e s
            - bottom quotes are redundant and havoc
            for the list digests and archives.

            4. reference anything that is not yours, at top.

            5. get the author's permission before forwarding email and indicate
            that you have it at beginning of post. a brief intro is nice,
            too.

            6. plain text only. No HTML messages or attachments.
            BUT if you have a China photo! or formatted file for
            listers, just email it to: roger at teflchina dot org. He can
            upload it to the list Web site, teflchina.org, and give
            you the URL (web page address) and you can post that.

            7. no cross-posting; do not post the same message to more than
            one of the lists in our field *at one time*. listers have already
            seen it!

            8. no advertising.
            job opening and professional announcements *are* welcome
            (when *informative*) on TEFLChinaJob. please put the
            city, province and name of school in the Subject line of
            job offers.

            post
            ----

            everyone is welcome and encouraged to post - your questions, answers,
            ideas, comments, China experiences, etc!

            we are 3 lists, discussing,

            TEFLChina@yahoogroups.com
            (teach) teaching issues ? classroom techniques, problems, tips,
            lesson plans, materials, Q&A on teaching.

            TEFLChinaJob@yahoogroups.com
            (job) job issues ? profession, job openings, contracts, Q&A
            on employment issues.

            TEFLChinaLife@yahoogroups.com
            (life) all the rest ? language, food, travel, stories, learning
            Chinese, your life in China, politics (*lightly*),
            computers, your stuff.

            know the List Rules (top) before you post

            unsubscribe
            all three addresses can go in one email's to line, separated by commas.
            + then reply to the *confirmation requests* yahoogroups sends you.

            if it does not work, email: roger at teflchina dot org, explain, and
            include any error messages yahoogroups sent you, including its full headers.
            the headers provide details that improve my ability to help you. to get the
            full headers, you may need to adjust your email client's preferences.

            subscribe
            ---------

            to subscribe, send a blank email to:
            teflchina-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
            teflchinajob-subscribe@yahoogroups.com,
            teflchinalife-subscribe@yahoogroups.com
            all three addresses can go in one email's to line, separated by commas.
            + then reply to the *confirmation requests* yahoogroups sends you.

            change address?

            archives
            -----------

            (teach) http://escribe.com/education/teflchina
            (job) http://escribe.com/education/teflchinajob
            (life) http://escribe.com/education/teflchinalife

            teaching user group?
            -------------tug ;-)

            why not do a local outing, lesson planning, or get-together with
            listers in *your* city. contact them on TEFLChinaLife.

            moderators
            ------------

            Jeff Kruse, Sam Shimek, Tony Gilbert, Karen Stanley,
            Bruce Prince, John Walton, Shawn Manders

            MORE
            * links, lessons and lots more! --> http://TEFLChina.org
            * list howto ------------------------> http://TEFLChina.org/welcome

            h a v e f u n!

            ****send*****feedback and suggestions to:
            Roger Chrisman, List Owner: roger at teflchina dot org

            ~ _o_
            \(___)s
            Uu uU
            Teaching English as a Foreign Language in China * teflchina.org
            a teachers' network on the Net

            List FAQ - updated 2004.01.29
          • TEFLChina@yahoogroups.com
            Message 5 of 29 , Mar 1, 2004
              hi all,

[...]

              List FAQ - updated 2004.01.29
            • TEFLChina@yahoogroups.com

                Message 7 of 29 , Apr 1, 2004
                  Is anybody else getting messages again and again?
                  I am also getting a notice from Yahoo asking me to confirm that I want to
                  unsubscribe.

                  Steve
                • TEFLChina@yahoogroups.com
                  Message 8 of 29 , May 1, 2004

[...]