Re: (teach) Marine speech

  • Thom010101thom@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 28, 2003
      I work in a "quasi-military" high school and I can verify that ignorance is
      the credo.

    • Willboots@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 2, 2003
        In a message dated 3/2/2003 6:19:07 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
        linelldavis@... writes:

        > This
        > sounds pretty arrogant to me. Can someone convince me otherwise?
        >
        > Linell

        Ya know Linell you kinda outlined the learned characteristics of Marines and
        pretty much understood how they could develop these speech patterns and yet
        you rhetorically want to be "convinced otherwise?" ....An observer chuckle
        only and no offense meant. Seriously people do tend to take on speech
        patterns typical of their professions. English teachers in American schools
        to wit. A personal example I can think of is my own niece. When she graduated
        from college she had very good normal all around upper mid-west
        conversational English. I did not see or talk to her again for about 3-4
        years. She got a job with the Social Security Dept. and started out giving
        phone answers to the public day in & out. When I met her again she had a
        computer sounding voice in her normal conversation. I pointed this out and
        she thought I was the one with the strange speech pattern. Are we not all the
        product of our environment? A rhetorical question of course. After 2 years of
        military service I was a "yes sir/yes mam" wind up tin soldier (sailor
        actually). Thank goodness after a couple of pijius I was back to normal using
        expletives and seeking out the opposite se....the ladies. Hong Kong was great
        in 1954. Then there was this time in Tiger Baum Garden. I and......opps

        G'night, Don...