discipline (was doink ....... pin dropped)

  • Michael & Mei Choy by way of Roger Chri
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2000
      Leslie wrote:
      >I'm having major discipline problems with my 14 year
      >olds, particularly the boys.....This is the first time I've taught
      >this age >group......
      >..How do you discipline.....Other advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

      Hello Leslie,

      I'll throw in my own 2 cents' worth, based on my experiences with the
      17 & 18 year olds that I've been teaching for the last year & a half:

      I have found that if used in the right measure (very subjective, I
      know..), you can use peer pressure to bear on a few of these
      trouble-makers, especially if you are having trouble with more than a
      few at a time. One class I had was really a pain with handing
      homework in, on time.

      After a week of very sporadic cooperation (combined with a general
      feeling of exhausted patience), and with numerous excuses for why
      they didn't 'remember'-I finally decided to ask (by raised hands)
      .."Who hasn't brought their homework in today?" After I've already
      made sure who is, or isn't, ready to turn these assignments in, I
      then instruct those students who don't have their homework ready, to
      stand up (at this point, everyone is very puzzled and wondering what
      was next).

      I then explained that I was tired of many students wasting the time
      of the teacher, and more importantly, the time and efforts of those
      students who were doing their homework, as assigned. I reminded the
      class that they were lucky to have a foreign teacher, in the first
      place, and that it was a shame that a few students were ruining
      things for the rest who really appreciated this, and really wanted to
      learn. Of course, in China, the students are used to standing while
      being addressed by the teacher, or when answering a question
      (something which I discourage right at the start of my courses with
      them).

      I tell them that because we have to stop and lose valuable class time
      for this disruption, that they must now apologize to me for having to
      repeat these instructions over and over again (by now it is just a
      silly game to them anyway). And then I direct them to turn to the
      rest of the class and, one student at a time, apologize to their
      fellow students (the ones who have done their homework assignments,
      are still seated).

      Number one, it gets everyone's attention, and quickly embarrasses the
      offenders, in front of the rest of the students, who also get the
      point, in case they wanted to join the bandwagon. I saw a very big
      improvement in the behavior (and the timeliness of finished homework)
      from that point on. Of course, this won't help much on those days
      when most of them are just simply uninterested, but that's another
      problem I will be working on for some time to come!

      This may not work for everyone (and I'm sure you couldn't get away
      with this in the States, with those particular sets of discipline
      problems!), but it seemed to work with a sizeable number of students
      in that class (in China)! I hope this helps?!!