Books for teaching

  • Richard Nugent
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 30, 2000
      Roger:

      What do you mean by false beginner university level in your reply to Galen?

      Grace
    • Roger Chrisman
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 1, 2000
        Galen wrote:
        >>Do any of you have information as to where
        >>I might be able to purchase the following series? Look Ahead, Let's Go,
        >>Family Album, Side by Side, and Headway--Many thanks in advance! Galen

        Roger chimed:
        >I think all of the above series are now published in China [too]
        snip
        >I'm just going on memory here but I think Let's Go is for children
        >and the others would be suitable at middle school level and perhaps
        >false beginner university level in China.

        Grace:
        >What do you mean by false beginner university level?

        Roger:
        Well, I'll be darned. What Did I mean! (..I learned that capital
        letter thing from the one and only T in Thailand..) Them there are
        graded series that start somewhere round False Beginner level
        (..learner who knows some English already but doesn't Know he knows,
        yet, or at least is shut up tight as a clam about it..) to perhaps
        intermediate or maybe even high intermediate for the last book in the
        series.. So what DID I mean.. I suppose I meant.. Roger, just send
        this one like this before you dominate this list cuz you don't even
        teach anymore and you are killing yourself with email.. but I didn't
        want to say that :-) sometimes I don't say what we mean, eh!

        Here is what I was thinking while I said what I didn't mean.. Ahem..
        <hidden somewhere in the mind of r zzbzzbzzbz oger> according to my
        experience at university.. in Guangzhou and Beijing.. students who
        pass the college entrance exams in China and get into foreign teacher
        English classes have already studied Lots of English, probably have
        read the (excellent by the way) Family Album series three times over.
        Side by side might be helpful for drilling open the shells of false
        beginners among these (but is drilling the best way to coax a clam?).
        Let's Go is for children, as I recall; correct me if I'm wrong. Look
        Ahead or Headway might be worth a try for university English
        students. However, none of these books has the intellectual value
        that the exceptional minds in college classrooms in China hunger.
        University students in China are some of the sharpest minds in the
        country; camouflaged by lack of intellectual freedom in China's civil
        and educational life, these minds are sharp and hungry. So the text
        books Galen mentioned, probably appropriate at the middle school
        level in China, will bore to the bone all but the false beginners
        among your university students. </hidden somewhere in the mind of r
        zzbzzbzzbz oger>

        I'm in a honey-suckling bumble-bee mood.. so, from our own Ian in
        7C-low 20C-high Kunming!, for your conversational English class or
        English corner, <http://www.egroups.com/message/red-dragon/2148>
        ^download this page
        \||/
        . . <(||:{-8<
        . . //\\
        r oger
        zbzzbzzbzz
      • Sheila Keating-Nause
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 2, 2000
          Greetings, Fellow Teachers of English in China

          This is my first message to the group (actually, it is my second, but
          apparently the first did not get through. I am now in China, and will begin
          my teaching career here tomorrow.

          I have read with great interest the many comments and suggestions on several
          topics, particularly the question of suitable textbooks. My headmaster asked
          me to recommend new or different ones, and the suggestions I read may be
          helpful. I will teach middle-school grade 1 (five classes) with 46 students
          per class. Th textbook in use by the regular Chinese techers is called,
          "Junior English for China", New Edition, published by Longman Publishing
          House and the Chinese People's Publishing House. The Chinese teacher will
          continue to teach the same classes as I will, and will continue to ue that
          textbook. "New Concepts" was also mentioned to me today as a good textbook.
          Any other suggestions?

          I will look forward to hearing from my fellow foreign teachers in China.
          >From: Richard Nugent <richard@...>
          >To: teflchina@egroups.com
          >Subject: (teach) Books for teaching
          >Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:15:41 -0700
          >
          >Roger:
          >
          >What do you mean by false beginner university level in your reply to Galen?
          >
          >Grace

        • Chris, Su & Co.
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 6, 2000
            I will teach middle-school grade 1 (five classes) with 46 students
            > per class. Th textbook in use by the regular Chinese techers is called,
            > "Junior English for China", New Edition, published by Longman Publishing
            > House and the Chinese People's Publishing House. The Chinese teacher will
            > continue to teach the same classes as I will, and will continue to ue that
            > textbook. "New Concepts" was also mentioned to me today as a good
            textbook.

            The textbook chosen really depends very much on the number of lessons you
            have with each class in a week, plus the temperament of the individual
            teacher.

            If you have two or less lessons with each class, you may choose instead to
            do enrichment exercises which relate to the material the students are
            learning in their standard text. There is a supplementary text that can be
            used in conjunction with thise book - I will look for the title tommorrow.

            If you are teaching more lessons than this, a textbook really helps. New
            Concept English is a book that some Foreign teachers hate and some are very
            happy with. My husband used it very successfully last year (with 3-4
            lessons a week with each class), and so I chose to use it this year in the
            absence of a more suitable book.

            However, I only have my classes twice a week each, and as I want to do many
            other things with my classes, i don't tend to advance through it at a very
            fast rate.

            Also, it's not visually very appealing, and sometimes can be a drudge,
            unless you really plan well to enhance the exercises in the book with
            additional activites, props and games which relate to each unit. (This can
            easily be arranged, but it does take some creativity and planning).

            Other Foreign Teachers here consider Side by Side by Bill Molinsky a better
            choice. I haven't used it myself, but it seems to be very practical - and I
            would probably choose this for next year. However, it is less "on a plate"
            for the Teacher and requires more development of the lesson plans, perhaps.

            Only the first book in the New Concept series is suitable for oral learning.
            The others require too much explanation of grammar, and are based on stories
            rather than conversational exercises.

            If you are the kind of person who follows recipes to the letter, then New
            Concept may suit you well. If you like to improvise a lot, maybe not. This
            is a gross generalisation. Apologies in advance, but it is awful to be
            stuck for a year with a textbook you don't like.

            A few thoughts anyway.

            -su