RE: Experiential learning in China

  • Stephanie Noke
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29, 2001
      Hi All!
      I'd like to post a belated thanks again to all those who gave me suggestions
      for the above. I'm happy to say my day was very successful even though it
      poured with rain the whole damn time! Even so, everyone was positive and
      participated fully. I started off with a test of their observation skills by
      giving them a series of questions about things they could see on the way to
      the venue. It was funny to see all these poor bedraggled folk on motor bikes
      and scooters peering up at things and madly writing on bits of soggy paper!
      Some of the initial things I had to change due to the delay because of the
      weather and the fact that the ground was wet. I had 4 groups of 11 each and
      rotated the games. One game I called "Poisonous Swamp" involved 3 oil drums
      and 2 planks of wood. They could not touch the ground but had to move 2 of
      the 3 drums to specified locations. The all did that pretty well and I have
      some priceless photos of guy's bums up in the air trying to "jump" oil drums!
      Another game was "Islands". We had 3 pallets for islands and on each were 3
      groups of people. One was blind (blindfolded), one was mute and one was
      "normal". Their islands were sinking and they had briefs to help each other
      and tasks to perform. It was interesting with all 4 groups to see that the
      "normal" people made absolutely no effort to help the "disabled" ones!!
      Another game was "What are they like" based on identifying another group's
      customs based purely on observation. That was really funny and a fascinating
      insight into communication skills and acting ability! I also gave them an
      orienteering game and they all got lost!!! Later when the ground was dryer,
      we had them giving instructions on how to stand up and holding hands in a
      circle. Hilarious! All in all, it was a good learning curve for all. The
      problem is - I now have to do it all over again!!!
      Stephanie