Re: (teach) exchange of ideas

  • chris winnan
    Message 1 of 51 , Jul 31, 2002
      At 08:51 PM 7/31/02 -0700, you wrote:
      >Are you a nice person? That's all you need to ask
      >yourself.

      This seems to be the mantra of most employers in China.

      "Are you qualified?" Not so important.

      "Are you experienced?" Equally unimportant in most places.

      Are you full of good ideas?" Who would ask a question like this?

      Most of the time it is just are you a nice person because our students want
      to make some foreign friends. I am not saying that being a nice person and
      being a great teacher are incompatible, its just that, in education, I
      thought that the priority would be obvious.

      Chris
      (Who unfortunately knows a lot more about helping learners than making friends)
    • Nelson Bank
      Message 51 of 51 , Aug 2, 2002
        . I
        > have offered to "train" Chinese English teachers (at
        > no cost) in
        > conversation American- style.I thought perhaps this
        > professional courtesy
        > might break the ice.
        > Victoria, still in Texas

        Hi Victoria, Now I'm in Texas. I'll be here for a
        couple of days (in Dallas), then Palestine, then
        College Station, then Houston, then Beeville, then
        Laredo.
        Good idea to work with Chinese English teachers.
        Where are you going to work in China?

        For example, even after I have signed my> contract
        with the Chinese> school I have the feeling that this
        job may> disappear. Suddenly another> committe has to
        meet to o.k. the purchase of my air> ticket.For
        example, even after I have signed my> contract with
        the Chinese> school I have the feeling that this job
        may> disappear. Suddenly another> committe has to meet
        to o.k. the purchase of my air> ticket.

        Victoria, Don't worry about the job. They're just
        making you sweat and will approve it. Meantime write
        them and ask if it is OK to get out of the contract as
        you have found a school that has pre-approved your
        airfare. If you like bluffing, you'll love seeing
        them jump out of their skin.
        In case they don't approve the airfare, that leaves
        you with only 1.34 million (more or less)
        English-teaching openings left. Just stay in touch.
        Nelson