Teaching materials for Public Speaking

  • konggrich chansamphan
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 29 2:13 AM
      Hi,

      I'll be teaching Public Speaking course next academic year in a university.
      I was wondering if anyone knows any good teaching materials on Public
      Speaking. Please recommend. Thanks.

      Kevin

    • Kswebster505@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
        Try "How To Prepare, Stage & Deliver Winning Presentations" by Thomas Leech.-
        my "Bible" for years.

        Pub. by AMACON - American Management Association

        ISBN 0-8144-7813-1

        Good Luck.

        Ken S. Webster
        "Sunny Scotland"

      • Margaret Orleans
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2002
          Kevin asked:

          > I was wondering if anyone knows any good teaching
          > materials on Public
          > Speaking.

          Below is a review of a very popular public speaking
          textbook widely used in Japanese universities. I
          think it represents the strengths and weaknesses of
          the book accurately.

          --Peg

          Speaking of Speech: Basic Presentation Skills for
          Beginners. David Harrington & Charles LeBeau. Tokyo:
          Macmillan Languagehouse . 1996. Pp. 105. \1,800. ISBN
          89585-211-3

          How do you teach presentation skills to students with
          only basic English ability? Speaking of Speech: Basic
          Presentation Skills for Beginners (SOS) is an
          excellent starting point for language instructors
          seeking an introductory level text. SOS uses a
          well-organized step-by-step approach to effectively
          introduce beginners to presentation skills needed in
          public speaking. Emphasizing �ehow to�f instead of
          �ewhy,' David Harrington and Charles LeBeau have
          written a text that is short on theory but long on
          practical exercises and activities.

          The textbook is visually appealing. For instance, on
          the front cover the authors use a cartoon illustration
          and a creative title to produces the clever anagram
          SOS. The three objectives of the text are presented in
          different ways. The objectives are represented first
          on the back cover using a flow chart, then in the
          introduction written in a style students can easily
          understand, and finally by using a simple diagram in
          the overview. The layout of each page and especially
          the signposts that clearly divides each skill module
          into different sections catches the eye. Also, the
          text is well illustrated with lively cartoon figures
          that are appealing to Japanese students who grow up
          reading manga. The formatting and organizational
          techniques that are systematically used throughout the
          text reveal the authors�f concern with the learning
          process and their attempt to address the many
          different learning styles of students.

          Three modular activities, called messages, neatly
          divide the text. First, the physical message
          introduces body language, eye contact, gestures, and
          voice inflection. Next is the story message that
          focuses on organizational skills. And finally, the
          visual message introduces the learners to the
          importance of visual aids for presentation. Each
          message is divided into easily understood target
          skills. Every target skill module is broken into
          different sections that explain what the target skill
          is, how it is used, and why it is important followed
          by activities to practice the skills. Each target
          skill module ends with a speech and an evaluation that
          focuses on the target skill that was learned.

          In the what section, the authors often use analogies
          to connect the target skill with the students'
          existing schema to engage interest. For example, the
          presentation structure is introduced by comparing two
          different types of conductors on a train. In the why
          section, they often contrasts good examples of the
          target skill with poor examples. Some of these
          exercises and answers are included in the accompanying
          tape and are in a playful tone. In the how section,
          learners are introduced to verbal and non-verbal tools
          to help them in using the target skill. The tape is
          most useful in this section. The practice section is
          very effective because it focuses on interactive tasks
          where each target skill is practiced and integrated in
          meaningful group settings which encourages cooperative
          learning rather than competitiveness. As the text
          makes clear, the only way for speakers to become more
          comfortable giving presentations is to give many
          presentations. So each target skill module closes with
          a speech followed by an evaluation activity that is
          short, simple and focuses on the target skill that was
          introduced. This organizational pattern is used for
          each skill that is introduced throughout the text and
          helps connect the messages together while continuing
          to recycle and build upon previously learned skills.

          The text�fs overriding strength is its sound
          organizational pattern that leads the student from
          simpler, less abstract skills to more challenging
          cognitive skills. Exercises and activities that are
          based on active and cooperative learning techniques
          and strategies build up skills throughout the text.
          This gives beginners the security and comfort needed
          to create a meaningful learning environment. The
          text's subtitle is Basic Presentation Skills for
          beginners, but these sound practices also allow this
          text to be used by more advanced students for
          self-study or as a simple reference guide. Simply
          stated, SOS is a "user friendly" book that is
          beneficial to a wide range of students.

          However, one weakness in the organization of the text
          is that it leaves the "visual message" until last.
          From my experience in the classroom, if adequate
          techniques for using visual aids are available to
          students early, then they will begin to rely on visual
          aids for support while speaking instead of a script or
          notes. By emphasizing the importance of the "visual
          message" at the beginning, the text would give
          students an additional aid to comprehension that could
          help them better understand and organize their ideas.

          Speaking of Speech provides a solid foundation of
          basic presentation skills. However, as with any text,
          sound pedagogical practices demand that teachers know
          their students' needs. SOS�fs step-by-step approach
          easily enables teachers to adapt and expand on
          particular aspects of presentations that their
          students deem necessary. Harrington and LeBeau have
          crafted a text useful in any language learning setting
          where speaking is required. I would strongly recommend
          SOS to all students and teachers.

          http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
        • Ruben
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 2, 2002