Final exam prep

  • dk
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2014

      It’s that time of year again.

      It used to make a very boring class to review the material we had studied before the exams until I found a very active and fun way to do it.

      Give the students some time to look through the material they studied and write down X number of questions they think might be on the test. Just having them checking the material and trying to make questions causes them to review it.

      Set up a rotational partner system, either sitting or standing, and have the students quiz each other with their questions. After X number of minutes have them rotate to the next partner. They review the material together in this way.

      It causes every student to be active. They have fun. You will see smiles all around the classroom.

      Dave

    • Sothymorokot Seen
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 20, 2014
        Thanks for the idea. My students might have benefitted from this kind of activity. Right now, they're saying lots of stuff about me on QQ and WeChat (the most memorable is "Our teacher is a smiling tiger") because they thought the exam was too difficult.

        - Kot
      • Porter, Deborah
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2014
          Thanks for the great idea. I particularly like the rotational quizzing aspect.

          I've used a similar technique in asking students to make a list of the most important items that should be included on the upcoming test (and in order of importance). We share this as a class and it is interesting to see what they come up with and why they feel it is important and differing opinions from various students.

          Deborah Porter

        • karenstanleyma
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 21, 2014

            Dave,

            This is a great idea, especially since it benefits the students with minimal cost to the teacher.

            One thing I have discovered is that students often have a very poor idea of what a test question might look like.  Of course, I made the mistake of simply asking them to write questions, rather than predict what questions would be on the test.  That shift, along with the quizzing each other, might make a real difference.

            Do you ever discuss how you decide what to put on a test, and the difference between a good test question and a bad one?

            Karen

          • Nelson Bank
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 23, 2014
              <what a test question might look like>

              During the semester I let students know what might be a good test question, from the exercises we do in class. Before the exam, maybe a week before, I remind them of what might, and probably will, be on the final exam. For example, during the semester we go thru the regular constructions of simple, perfect, and progressive verbs. I tell them they will probably be on the final exam. A week before the exam I remind them that in all probability, they will be asked the constructions. For some, it gives enough time to write the constructions on little cheat sheets for the exam. I usually catch that. Most students study and end up being able to refer quickly to their memory banks later on.
              I use everything I recommend studying for, on the exam.
              Nelson Bank