vowel in 'hurt' / 'hook'

  • karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 31, 2013
      >The 'er' for 'her' is the 'eu' (French pronunciation). It's in 'hurt',
      >'hook' etc.

      The French 'eu' approximates for BE pronunciation in 'hurt,' but it's far from the same sound as in 'hook.' Are you sure you didn't type the wrong word by accident?

      Karen
    • Nelson Bank
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 1, 2014
        <The 'er' for 'her' is the 'eu' (French pronunciation). It's in 'hurt'>

        It's the same sound, I guess you could say rhotacized.  I think the rhotic takes over in a ROT (like the Voice Onset Time) sequence.  Do you use Praat?
        Nelson