Re: (teach) presentations in class

  • Margaret Orleans
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 24, 2013
      Karen explained:

      > One of the problems with having students do presentations in larger classes is the total amount of class time they take.

      > One approach I've taken is to have students make their presentations to small groups.

      You can take the small group approach a step farther and have students rotate so that they hear many more presentations (and so that the presenters give the presentation three or four times).  For individual presentations, this still takes a lot of time, but for group presentations (4 people or so) in a class of 40, this can be managed in one class period and you can watch every presentation.

      Since most students have cell phones capable of shooting short videos, you can also assign students to video the presentations and send them to you, if you really want to watch them all outside of class.

      Another route is to have students do an initial assessment by choosing the best one or two presentations from each group (backed up with reasons for their choice) and then giving the others a second chance to perform, so that they can improve (if that's the point of the assessment).

      --Peg

    • Kenneth Wilson
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 24, 2013

        On 9/22/2013 12:04 PM, karen wrote:
        > I really can only give them credit for doing it or not doing it, not a
        > grade for their overall performance, since I do not hear each and
        > every presentation.

        Is it feasible to record each student presentation for purposes of
        teacher evaluation, perhaps according to a scale such as ACTFL speaking?
        If so, all presentations could be evaluated. It would be quite informative if the teacher(s)
        involved posted the observed class average and range of ratings.

        Ken Wilson