Best age for sounds

  • Nelson Bank
    Message 1 of 2 , May 2, 2013
      I teach pronunciation beginning at grade 4 Primary.  I introduce a simplified phonemic alphabet and go through a series of exercises until students recognize and produce 36 sounds of English.  I don't think it's necessary before 4th grade.  I haven't seen any research that finds that students are able to focus on sounds by grade 4.  I'm wondering if anyone can direct me to information on the age that students can benefit from pronunciation practice.

      Nelson Bank