FW: Liverpool IATEFL Conference Online!

  • Karen Stanley
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2013
      Originally posted to TESOL-France. I am passing along the information to anyone who might find it interesting/useful.
      Karen
      Sent: Friday, April 05, 2013 6:12 PM

      This year's IATEFL Conference takes place next week - from 8th to 12th April - in Liverpool, UK.

      If you can’t attend the IATEFL conference, follow it live online! Tons of sessions will be streamed live - all free of charge! We therefore encourage you to take advantage of this opportunity to watch high-level speakers, all of the plenary sessions and get plenty of ideas for your classes.

      The Liverpool Online website is available at: <http://iatefl.britishcouncil.org/2013>

      Over the past six years, the British Council and IATEFL have worked together to offer free online coverage of the Annual IATEFL Conference. Liverpool Online offers comprehensive video coverage including the chance to watch the plenaries live as well as streamed video presentations, workshops and interviews. Our coverage is brought to you live from Liverpool.

      As well as our video coverage, there are discussion forums and accounts of conference sessions written by a team of roving reporters.

      Last year over 80,000 teachers from 160 countries watched our live coverage - this year we are hoping for even more.

      <http://iatefl.britishcouncil.org/2013/promotional-materials>

      For updates, follow Liverpool Online on twitter @iateflonline
      [(at)iateflonline]

      The official Twitter hashtag for the event is #IATEFL

      We hope to see you all online next week! (April 8-12)
    • dk
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 6, 2013
        "Last year over 80,000 teachers from 160 countries watched our live coverage
        - this year we are hoping for even more."

        There is only one thing worse than attending a boring conference and that is
        watching a boring conference live(?). Of course many people enjoy going to
        those conferences because it's like a holiday so it is doubly boring for
        online visitors because there is no holiday.

        I dare say that teachers are finding more benefit by sharing ideas together
        here, at TEFL China, than these conferences.

        One problem with those conferences is that the people presenting are doing
        it because they have to publish a paper, not because they have anything
        great to say. If they have any great insights, cutting edge research, etc,
        it will also appear on the net, a blog or some news.

        Those conferences are so boring even many of the presenters don't bother to
        attend. They submit their paper to the conference but they don't present
        them. That was a big problem at the GLO-CALL conference with about
        one-quarter of the presenters not showing up.

        I love this photo from GLO-CALL. The woman is bored to death but video the
        proceedings at the same time, presumably to watch the "exciting" conference
        again later?

        http://tinypic.com/r/2dgjf4m/6

        Dave Kees