Re: (teach) TEFL horrr stories

  • Margaret Orleans
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 14, 2013
      Dave Kees wrote:

      >To me it all seemed like a sort of child abuse or at least intellectual
      >abuse to call this "teaching English".
      >
      >One of the last things a teacher said to the sobbing loser was, "Don't cry.
      >You just need to try harder."

      I couldn't agree more with his characterization of that particular practice.  Here in Japan, to an even greater degree, people believe that enough effort will enable you to accomplish anything, and conversely if you don't do well it's because you haven't put in enough effort.  While I find Malcolm Gladwell's discovery that experts in most fields became experts because of the long, long hours of practice they put in (more important than talent), I'm afraid that in East Asia, such data will only lead to people being told even more fiercely that they must work harder (not smarter).

      Of course, a big part of the problem is that foreign languages are viewed more as means to achieving mental discipline than as means of communication, a believe that was also once widely held in the West.

      --Peg