Evaluating pronunciation

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 12, 2011
      >As I've said before in this forum, I don't trust my subjective judgment
      where
      >student language evaluation is concerned.

      Brit Council was a bit concerned about IELTS examiners becoming too used
      to Chinese English speakers pronunciation . . .
      You could walk down to see them, just south of Lufthansa Centre.

      But in the end, it's still gotta be the ear of the listener, surely?
      Unless you decide RP is the only acceptable standard, in which case a 13
      yr old boy in Changsha was absolutely perfectly BBC.

      Dave Nevin
    • Margaret Orleans
      Message 2 of 3 , Oct 13, 2011
        I don't remember who started this thread, but have you looked into the application of voice recognition software to language learning? I know of a company in Japan that does a 5-minute phone speaking test that is graded by a computer. There are many websites that offer a voice recognition component for improving pronunciation. I don't think they're geared to a single national/regional accent.

        A quick search turned up the following sites, among dozens

        http://blog.babbel.com/practice-your-pronunciation-new-speech-recognition-tool/

        http://www.icspeech.com/tutorials/testing%20pronunciation.html

        but I haven't checked them out thoroughly. I know I've seen some free sites.

        --Peg