Getting students to do more without checking

  • dk
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2011
      Often we need our students to do something but we are unable to check that
      they did it or we're unable to check how well they did it. How can we deal
      with that situation?

      For example, I often want my students to practice some language in groups.
      Right now with some freshmen college students we are learning how to do
      introductions. I want all of my students to participate in this practice but
      because there are so many students, I'm unable to monitor how well they are
      doing it or even if they are doing it wholeheartedly.

      Sometimes students need a little pressure to do well. I put the students
      together into groups and ask them to not just practice but to make a role
      play of the activity. After sufficient time, I randomly choose a few groups
      to come to the front of the class to do their role play for all of us.

      Because students don't know which group will have to perform their role
      play, this puts a slight pressure on everyone to participate in the activity
      but the teacher does not have to check each groups work.

      This approach can also be used for any activity like writing projects. I
      have done it for speaking projects, asking the students to create an mp3 on
      a group member's mobile phone, and we choose a few group's recordings to
      play for the class.

      A score can even be handed out for these teams. Of course in scoring, you
      are not checking the whole class, only part of the class. But this should be
      fine if you repeat these types of activities throughout the semester and
      cover all of the students. One caveat is to not say that the ones who
      performed before will not perform next time as this causes them to slack
      off. Some students may have to perform and get scored more than others.

      Dave Kees

      GUANGZHOU, CHINA

      Email - DAVEKEES@...

      Chat - Skype:DAVEKEES

      Blog - http://davekees.wordpress.com/

      TEFL TEACHERS

      Insights, ideas, opinions, tips, debates from TEFL teachers around the
      world!

      Blog - http://teflteachers.wordpress.com/

      NOT sent from an iPad