Re: (teach) Moral Dilemmas2

  • Janet Elfring
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
      I appreciate the moral dilemmas and plan to hold a discussion around
      them. What I would like now are some more complex moral issues in a
      business setting. My students are business English majors and I would
      like to set up some scenarios in which they have to hold discussions
      around business decisions. I'd like some examples of such decisions
      which include a moral component, such as pollution vs profits, etc. I'd
      like some scenarios with realistic examples of output, profit and so
      forth.

      Does anyone know a source for such discussion material?

      Janet Elfring
      Beijing.
      China Agricultural University

      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 4, 2001
        Janet,
        Massachusetts Institute of Technology has a good site devoted to issues in technology and ethics. Scenarios I've seen have included business venture dilemmas raised in bio-engineering projects or conflicts of interest in public/private collaborations. Scenarios are followed-up with ethical discussions. The site is located off the MIT homepage in the student/professional organizations area.

        Daniel

        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 5, 2001
          Janet,

          For business related dilemmas, problems and issues for your students to sort
          out I recommend two books by Cambridge. These are part of their
          'photocopiable resource' book series and has teacher instructions, etc, etc.

          "BUSINESS ROLES - 12 simulations for Business English"

          Two of the twelve units are:

          "Polluting the river - This US fridge maker has been secretly polluting the
          river for decades. However, putting a stop to it may mean heavy financial or
          job losses..." (Actually, GE is going through some problems in NY about this
          right now.)

          "Quality and personnel - A VCR manufacturer with factories in the Far East
          and Europe tries to determine why quality is so much better in one plant
          than in the other."

          "DECISIONMAKER - 14 business situations for analysis and discussion"

          Two of the fourteen units are:

          "Smoke Signals - A trainee in a large cigarette company has to respond to a
          secret marketing strategy"

          "The Hohokum Virus - A computer company responds to a blackmail threat."

          Although the books are similar in that they require discussion and problem
          solving in English, Business Roles is essentially for role play whereas
          Decisionmaker is for class discussion.

          These photocopiable Cambridge books are not cheap, about 240 Rmb. If you are
          interested in the books and have no local source you can order them through
          this bookstore in Guangzhou:

          Guangdong San Di Bookstore
          Contact: Rossetti (Chinese name: Yang Hou Yu)
          Phone: 020-87763209
          Fax: 020-87620191
          Email: xuyang1@...

          A fascinating story of business stategy and intrigue is the story of Coke
          vs. Pepsi in Argentina many years ago. I have only found a Business Week
          article of the story, no English lessons developed around it.

          Best wishes,
          Dave Kees
        • Christopher Priest
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 12, 2001
            How about this for a moral/business decision.
            Issue 1.
            World Bank will fund development of a irrigation
            system
            but insist the land is seeded with high yield genetic
            engineered pest resistant crops.

            WB suggests that you will need the high yield to pay
            back the loan.

            Moral decision: are FrankenFoods safe for humans?
            are FrankenFoods safe for the environment?
            Discuss the poisoning of butterflys by the pollen
            of genetic engineered plants.
            (FrankenFoods is the negative term for genetic
            engineered crops.)
            Can you pass up this offer based on your morals when
            given the economic situation in the development
            region?
            Have they considered the effect of irrigation on the
            water table elsewhere?

            Business decision: What if a backlash by the buying
            public severely reduces the market for your produce?
            What if the government changes the rules and requires
            you to destroy the crop?
            What if harm is done? How will you pay for damages?
            Is the reduced rate of the loan worth the increased
            risk and lack of independence?

            Issue 2:
            The Aral Sea in the Soviet Union, formerly the world's
            fourth largest lake in area, is disappearing.
            By the beginning of the 1990s, the surface area of the
            Aral had shrunk by nearly half, and the volume was
            down by seventy-five percent. 60,000 fishermen became
            unemployed as the fishery collapsed. A host of
            secondary effects began to appear.
            Regional climate became more continental,
            shortening the growing season and causing some farmers
            to switch from cotton to rice, which demanded even
            more diverted water. The exposed area of former
            seabed was now over 28,000 square kilometers, from
            which winds picked up an estimated 43 million tons of
            sediments laced with salts and pesticides, with
            devastating health consequences for surrounding
            regions. These contaminated Aral dust storms have
            been reported as far away as the Arctic and Pakistan.

            Should you participate in another irrigation project
            to provide water to your farming community or
            business?

            Christopher Priest

            =====
            Christopher Priest ChristopherPriest@...