Moving to mobile

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 12 , Aug 17, 2009
      >So before we go back to school in September, I am thinking about a
      >multi-material approach to use with my students. It would consist of mobile
      >websites, MP3's, movies, websites and perhaps a book

      That's a four skills approach? That's what I did last year :-) and as far
      as poss within 'Oral' class, the years before.
      If a book, a short modern one. Modern Short stories might be better, from
      various websites.

      mP3s ? Edison's short prose poem.

      re my previous reluctance to use phones, I'm heading west and don't expect
      students to have phones, nor there be G3 coverage. But I'll see what's
      there and work with it.

      maybe we should move to Montessori?

      Dave Nevin
    • Terence Egan
      Message 2 of 12 , Aug 19, 2009
        It's not the technology that students love - it's the entertainment value that these applications are able to deliver that they love. That's entertainment ... not education. And that's probably why popular and exciting new applications, when applied to education, don't garner the take-up that many hard-working teachers anticipate. If your content category is on the 'Z-list', the technology isn't going to help much.

        As we have found at my school, individual teachers (or even the teachers of an entire university) usually don't achieve an adoption rate for these types of innovation that substantiates the investment in time (disregarding any other costs). A very small number of students begin with gusto and then trail off  in their enthusiasm fairly quickly. The percentage of students who are genuinely interested (and then willing) to use these applications for educational purposes appears to be quite small.

        I'd venture to propose that the key to success in making these extraordinary (and praise-worthy) efforts economical and productive is in casting the net very wide. Whether or not the teacher/innovator views the education of people who are not their students as productive use of their time is another matter entirely.

        Rather than being negative for the sake of stereotyping myself as a curmudgeon, this leads me to wonder whether a collaborative solution might help push worthy innovations beyond the early-adoption hump. I'm sure there are many teachers with great ideas (tech-based or not) who don't follow them through because their user 'market' is very limited. Would collaboration on the customer-registration side create hyper-expansion of the user 'market'?
        If Dave (or anyone else) is willing to invest considerable time implementing multi-delivery education platforms (or any of the other innovations Dave has championed over the years), how might 'Associates' who register their students make it worthwhile to the Head Master?

        Terence Egan

        Terence R. Egan
        Associate Professor
        Business School
        Central University of Finance and Economics
        Beijing, PR China
        Mob: 13699163801