i before e, except after

  • Dave
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2009
      any other letter.

      Quoting from SCMP Education Supplement, Firday 26 June, new British govt.
      guidance tells teachers not to pass on the 'i before e' rule because there
      are too many exceptions.
      The rule 'is not worth teaching'...according to a document "Support for
      Spelling" which I suppose I should google for and see what else we can
      forget...

      and before anyone says it's a rumour,
      http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/education/spelling_bee/article6538821.ece

      cheers
      Dave Nevin
      (but that doesn't excuse Firday, does it..)