Re: (teach) Note cards

  • John Pullen
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
      With my graduate students in research writing I did
      not emphasize note cards, but suggested that students
      bring their lap top computers to libraries in order to
      take notes. Maybe spend time on teaching how you use
      note cards and some time on how best to use their
      computers to take notes.

      One has a limited amount of time to teach many aspects
      of research and the writing process during one class.
      To focus so much effort as what appears to be in your
      comment, would seem to crowd out other important
      topics.

      Not everyone uses the same process and note cards are
      a good system, but not necessarily the only system
      used by good writers.

      It might be more effective to get your lessons
      incorporated into the local high school curriculums
      where the process can be developed over 3/4 years
      within various types of writing.

      My emphasis, were I to teach it again, would be on
      group skills and emphasis on selecting a worthwhile
      topic, narrowing down the topic, writing a thesis
      statement, developing the introduction, using a
      library and library resources, and how to read
      research papers. I'd include lots of work that forced
      students to speak, read, write and think in English.

      Let the native teachers at lower levels teach details
      in note taking, spelling, citations, outlining, etc.

      john

      --- Carolyn Reagan <cafechai@...> wrote:

      > Anyone use note cards in teaching writing
      > (specifically, research paper writing)? I had my
      > students make note cards last semester and a
      > colleague had her students write notes on paper. I
      > don't think any of our classes used the notes to
      > write their papers.

      john
      Life's a journey not a destination, help others along the way.
    • Dave
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 8, 2008
        >However, I feel notecards to be so helpful that I want to try again. Any
        >comments from anyone who has taught this writing method or ideas for
        other >ways to teach it would be very much appreciated.

        English majors or major majors?

        Which year of uni?

        Did they have specific subject oriented assignment/s to write notes for?

        I could see it working if they read several books/magazines but what
        Chinese ss does that for an assignment? (actually some do.) And if they
        use 'net, note taking is a copy/paste (hopefull with url) into WOrdpad so
        they don't need paper notes?

        Dave Nevin
      • Carolyn Reagan
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 10, 2008
          Dave,
          These are sophomore English majors and the notecards are being used to write research papers for which they must cite 10 sources. Some of the research is from the internet and although I encourage handwritten notes (paraphrased, not quoted) I allow them to copy pages directly to be used to make notes from (I hope). For books and magazines, newspapers, etc. I require hand written notes. With notes, I am trying to get the students to paraphrase rather than directly quote (and hence avoid plagiarism). I also believe that notes can help them organize their thoughts to make writing an outline easier and thus make writing the paper easier. At least, that's the goal.
          Carolyn
          Ms. Reagan cafechai@... "They have been to a feast of languages and have stolen the scraps."--W. Shakespeare (Love's Labour's Lost)
        • Dave
          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 12, 2008
            >Dave,
            >These are sophomore English majors and the notecards are being used to write
            >research papers for which they must cite 10 sources.

            thanks Carolyn.
            10 sources is a lot, even if they have to write 1500 words. but most only
            write 400 so they're going ot have fun fitting in ideas from 10 sources?
            But, I like the idea, and they do have to cite their sources.

            In the last week I've seen an article on Plagiarise or . . .(inter-
            something) but I've forgotten what/were. Was a reference to it posted
            here?

            Dave Nevin
          • Carolyn Reagan
            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 12, 2008
              Dave: 10 sources is a lot, even if they have to write 1500 words

              Actually, they were writing 2500 words...10 page paper. I required 10 sources, because relatively few book sources were available which meant most of their sources needed to come from the internet, unfortunately.
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 12, 2008
                John,
                Thanks for your comments on notecards. Unfortunately, maybe 3 students out of 200 have laptops in my classes. Many of my students only have one change of clothes, so a laptop is just too expensive. I spent about 30 minutes each in 3 classes on notecards last semester (each class is 2 sessions of 45 minutes with a 15 minute break in between). I feel that notecards could be useful in helping the students learn to assimilate information which, currently, they do not seem to be able to do.