Re: lifeless students

  • fshdt
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 2001
      --- In teflchina@y..., Nancy Buswell <nancybuswell@y...> wrote:
      > for some reason I thought that Hong Kong and Macau students would be
      > much better than our students.

      We think here that our mainland students are more responsive than HK
      or Macau students.

      Dick
    • Frank Doonan
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 2001
        My best experience teaching was in a small city university in the
        northeast. The students from rural areas and small towns seemed to be
        more aggressive attentive students. In general women students are
        better then men. In many, but not all, private schools the students
        are by far the worst. They often couldn't make it in their own schools
        and were sent to the private reform school by rich parents. Becareful
        some universities operate semi-private language schools for these
        students. These schools are for profit and have lower academic standards
        then the regular university programs. You may think you are being hired
        to teach in a regular university program, but you end up with a class
        of idiots and disapline problems at a small campus in the suburbs.

        The Kunming Institute of Technology operates programs like these at
        their Bai Long campus and I think another campus south of Kunming. Most
        of the students are not from Kunming or Yunnan Province. If you teach
        on the main campus your okay, but beware of getting sent to suburbs.
      • Chinanet
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 3, 2002
          From: Frank Doonan [mailto:shunya@...]
          >some universities operate semi-private language schools for these
          >students. These schools are for profit and have lower academic standards
          >then the regular university programs. You may think you are being hired
          >to teach in a regular university program, but you end up with a class
          >of idiots and disapline problems at a small campus in the suburbs.

          How right you are Frank.

          And be really careful, as it is in fact illegal for these schools to operate
          for profit, no matter how they dress it up. It's a good 'ole "guanxi" thing,
          and in most cases the payroll you will be on does not accommodate the
          employment of foreigners. The Government will (and is currently doing so in
          some areas) crack down on this in the same way as it has the "student
          export" business.

          Are you in Kunming? If so send your contact details in a private mail, I'm
          quite often there myself if you fancy a beer or three.

          Tom.