Re: (teach) Re: Foreign documentaries & vocab

  • brendan oflaherty
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 31, 2007
      My own guess is that learning all the colours at once causes confusion

      between similar concepts. If you are learning cooking implements why

      learn frying pan and saucepan together. Why not learn frying pan and

      do a recipe using it that will repeat the word frequently and get the

      frying pan concept in your head? Then later do saucepan and use the

      word frequently in another recipe.

      Dick Tibbetts wrote:
      > ... Learning black without white, fork without spoon etc doesn't
      > make sense to me. Of course less common items eg the colour crimson,
      > or soup ladle, need not be thrown into the mix until the basics are
      > drilled... What do others think and do? Do you use trategies
      > /techniques etc in your teaching that run counter-intuitively to
      > your own thinking?
    • Nelson Bank
      Message 34 of 34 , Jun 13, 2012
        <Bifurcate the two languages!>

        Keep it clean, Mert.  This is a family list.
        The late Ray Bradbury tried what you suggested, and it was a bestseller.  So you may have a point, if applicable mainly in a massively immersion learning environment.  There is a danger of learning the wrong word in a vocabulary-based exercise, though with negative reinforcement in a second-language environment (no positive reinforcement), the right word would, ideally, eventually prevail.  So teacher plays an important role in the final choice of the English word - no doubt about it.

        Nelson Bank