direct communication with 70 students

  • Greg Matheson
    Message 1 of 36 , Mar 14, 2007
      > Nelson Bank wrote:
      > For my 60-70-pupil classes in China, I would have
      > direct oral communication with every student at least
      > once per class period, usually a question and answer.

      How do you arrange that? What are the other students doing for
      that large percentage of the class time?

      Do they come to you? Or do you come to them? Or do you
      communicate over large distances?

      --
      Greg Matheson Learn a third language and
      be born again, again.
      Message 36 of 36 , Apr 13, 2007
        Dear Steven,
        One useful way I found of getting students "into"
        listening to a film is to choose a three minute
        segment in which there is dialogue going on between two people.
        1. They watch the three minutes and listen.
        2. They choose to take on the body posture of one of the two speakers. They
        listen again, matching the body posture of the person they have chosen.
        3. They now match and echo the words of the person chosen. Re-play three
        times with them doing this.

        The idea is to enter the world of the film and thus facilitate their
        listening comprehension right the way through.

        Really understanding a sound track is hugely facilitated if you are able to
        come close to the actors and get on their wave length.

        Warmly yours,

        Mario