My foot

  • nevin@igrin.co.nz
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
      >* What worked well for you this semester?

      I gave Advanced Writing juniors a homework exercise. Go to the campus
      park, sit with their eyes closed for 5 minutes and write about what you
      feel. (The excuse for this is Describing feelings).
      One of 75 thought it a waste of time, most rediscovered something natural
      they don't have time for and 1 or 2 waxed lyrical. It brings out the
      passive emotional vocab they don't get to use in formal essay type
      writing.

      Next term I'll tell them to stand on a footbridge over a 10lane traffic
      congestion :-)

      Dave Nevin
    • Merton Bland
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
        Wasn't this part of someone's methodology: perhaps
        Gaetano's Silent Way?
        Mert

        [
        Moderator's note:
        Gattengo's Silent Way
        * http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_silent_way <-lots here
        * http://wikigogy.org/Method_and_approach#Silent_Way
        * http://www.google.com/search?&q=Gattegno+silent+way
        ]

        --- nevin@... wrote:
        > I gave Advanced Writing juniors a homework exercise.
        > Go to the campus
        > park, sit with their eyes closed for 5 minutes and
        > write about what you
        > feel.
        >
        > Next term I'll tell them to stand on a footbridge
        > over a 10lane traffic
        > congestion :-)
      • Joe Anthony Blum
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
          These were excellent links. I liked the one from the Google search,
          http://www.saudicaves.com/silentway/gattegno.htm, where John Pint finishes
          with: "If I may add a personal note, teaching a language the Silent Way
          feels very much like leading a team of investigators on a voyage of
          discovery. Like detectives, the students pounce upon each piece of the
          puzzle they find and as they put them all together, they become as confident
          as their teacher in their mastery of the new language. In fact, it is not
          unusual for both teacher and students to feel exhilarated after working for
          six hours during an intensive course."

          Joe

          Since my proposed E:P:N format, using C-tests, has a similar
          process and outcome, I, of course, think it was well stated. :-)

          Btw, it is spelled Gattegno.
        • fshdt
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 1, 2007
            > Wasn't this part of someone's methodology: perhaps
            > Gaetano's Silent Way?
            > Mert
            >
            > [
            > Moderator's note:
            > Gattengo's Silent Way

            Who could resist the opportunity to say you're both wrong. He was
            Caleb Gattegno. I haven't used the rods for ages but my cuisinaire
            rods are there, packed in a drawer, ready to go if the silent way
            comes back.

            I can't place Nevin's idea with Gattegno but it's a very humanist
            approach and I did do something similar with Mario Rinvolucri back in the early 80's. I remember sitting in the garden of the New School in Bateman Street, Cambridge for one of his lunchtime seminars, worrying that I might nod off when I closed my eyes.

            Dick Tibbetts
          • dk
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
              "worrying that I might nod off when I closed my eyes"

              Now that is very humanist. - Dave
            • Margaret Orleans
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 2, 2007
                Those interested in Mario Rivolucri's approach can
                check out his online magazine, "Humanising Language
                Teaching."

                <http://www.hltmag.co.uk/>

                I think there's even a place to sign up for e-mail
                notices when a new issue is posted.

                --Peg