RE: (teach) English Corner

  • dk
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
      This is a clever trick that I learned on this list.
      I love it for its simplicity and efficiency.

      Ask all the students to write one question that they
      can ask another student on a piece of paper. Some
      question ideas are given below.

      Students stand up and move around the room as if at
      a party and ask another student their question. After
      the two students have asked each other their question
      they exchange questions, give the slip of paper
      with the question on it to the other student, and find
      another student to ask.

      It is deceptively simple but works great. This
      provides a lot of interaction, not only communicatively
      but physically, and really gets students engaged,
      talking and laughing. Changing questions creates a
      lot of interesting variety.

      Question themes! You can set question themes and the
      other student could take on a role. A question you
      would ask a new friend. "What kind of books do you like?"
      Something you would ask a foreigner. ("Tell me about your
      country.") Something you would ask a movie star. ("Do
      you enjoy being a movie star? Why?") A question you
      would ask a millionaire businessman. ("What is your
      secret of success?") Etc.

      Sometimes you will find students clumping or getting
      stuck with others. Instead of moving around and talking
      one-on-one sometimes students will form a group.
      Instead of changing partners they may spend the whole
      time with one partner. There are a couple ways you
      can manage this:

      The onion! Like an onion has rings you form the students
      into rings, two rings to be specific. Put exactly half
      the students in an inner ring facing outward and half
      the students in an outer ring facing inward and
      pairing up with another student. Then every 5 minutes
      tell the students to change partners with the inner
      ring moving one person to the right.

      The loop! Students form one flat loop face-to-face with
      the student on the opposite side of the loop. After they
      talk for five minutes the teacher prompts them to change
      and they each move one place to the right with the
      students at the end of the loop going around the end.
      Remember to tell them to exchange questions.

      Dave Kees

      davekees@... - Guangzhou, China - skype: davekees