Re: (teach) Vocabulary i+1

  • Stephen Krashen
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 4 10:35 AM
      The problem is of course political and not
      pedagogical. The tests, of course, are all wrong. So
      lets consider both short and long term solutions.

      Long term solution = educate those responsible to
      change the nature of the tests: testing vocabulary
      directly encourages students and teachers to focus on
      learning and memorizing vocabulary, which is less
      efficient than acquiring vocabulary from reading.
      But simply having students read will probably not give
      them the specific vocabulary they need for the tests.
      And the students need to know how vocabulary is
      acquired so they can continue to get better on their
      own, after the EFL program is finished.

      Short term = reading lots and lots of books & articles
      that are very comprehensible that contain the
      vocabulary they need. This is easy to say and hard to
      do, reading is hard to find that satisfies this
      condition.
      Backround reading in Chinese that will help make the
      hard English texts more comprehensible. This is also
      easy to say and hard to do: texts may not be easy to
      find.

      Education through English medium requires that
      instruction be comprehensible. When it isn't, English
      medium is a bad idea, as Hong Kong is discovering.