17988Corpus Linguistics MOOC

  • karen
    Nov 3, 2013
      At the end of September I posted about a free online course - an introduction to corpus linguistics.

      Dave's mention of a MOOC reminded me that some people on the list might be interested in the update I received about that course - there is now an introductory (promo) video below the "join this course" option on their website. Below is the update, which includes the website address for the course.

      Karen

      As some of you who follow me on Twitter will know, I have been having a great time filming conversations with linguists, social scientists and researchers in the humanities about their use of corpora. We have had fun filming these videos - essentially I agree a time, come along with my trusty camcorder, set it up and we start talking. Sort of guerrilla MOOC building, so to speak! I hope you enjoy these 'in conversation' videos when you see them - without exception the people that filmed them with me enjoyed the experience. Probably because these short conversations are very much what the course is about - an exploration of how to find out more about language by using the power of computers to help us investigate language as it is spoken and written. More 'in conversation' videos will be shot before Christmas, including with my very good friend Michael Hoey of the University of Liverpool.

      Far more polished is the promotional video for the course (for those of you who have not seen it look at https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/corpus-linguistics). It was fun producing that, but the course will be more about content than style I promise you! Videoing of the lectures will commence next month and these will be 'to camera' presentations supported by slides.

      You may not want to hear the next piece of news but .... production of the coursework assessments is also proceeding apace and we are trialling one of the assessments on undergraduates here at Lancaster this coming week. If all goes well, these assessments will be making their way onto the course.

      I will be back in touch soon with another update - and a taster of things to come. For those of you who follow me on Twitter already - hi! For those who don't, if you want to keep up to date with the development of the course follow me on Twitter @TonyMcEnery

      Best Wishes,

      Tony McEnery

      Change which emails you receive - http://www.futurelearn.com/settings

      Need support? Contact us by emailing feedback@...