Announcement of new features at TDSIG.org

  • Mark Bain
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 5, 2011
      Dear TDSIG members*

      I'd like to draw your attention to a couple of new features which I've recently introduced over at TDSIG.org.

      First of all, there's a "membership map", which is a feature many people have requested. Please go over there and "put yourself on the map" (it's really easy). The idea of the map is to show the geographical range of our members, and for local members to become aware of each other.

      The other feature which recently been launched is the TDSIG Discuss forum. But we already have a place to discuss stuff, I hear you say. Well, time change and technology moves on. The current Yahoo Group is ten years old. I'm confident that, if you try out the new features, you'll find it far easier to use and much more engaging. There are already a couple of open threads to get us started.

      That's it for now. And don't forget, we're also on Facebook and Twitter.

      Have a good Sunday.

      --
      Mark Crawford Bain

      PS Have you been reading Luke Medding's articles (here and here) on the blog about "unplugged" teaching, Dogme and OST? If not, you're missing out!

      * although you don't need to be a member to enjoy any of these features.
    • Pauline Johnson
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
        Dear Mark,

        Thanks for telling me about this new feature. I've just looked at your 'membership map' and seen that you have all of three members. I tried to add myself  to the list but was given the usual long bureaucratic incomprehensible list of reasons as to why I couldn't do so, as follows:

        "In order to make a change, you need to sign in using any of the supported login providers from the buttons below. By signing in you accept the privacy policy:

        We are phasing out Google Buzz login in favor of Google OpenID login. If you created a space between Dec. 21-29 using the Google login option and want to access that space again as the same user, use this login link."

        I know nothing about Google Buzz or Google OpenID. Nor did I know that I should have created a space between Dec 21-29. Which website should I have created a space on, and what kind of space should I have created?

        Sorry, but it comes over as a class system or blinding of undesirable would-be members with science. I am officially a member of this group and I did the odd book review for Colin Mackenzie in the past and recently sent a contribution about feedback to Catherine Mitsaki, but I have only ONCE received a newsletter from the group in all the years that I've been a member. In other words, I am saying that there is a lack of communication in the group - I never know what's happening unless someone like yourself writes to me. I am on Facebook, but have never been asked to join the group on Facebook or Twitter.

        Yours in exasperation,

        Pauline Johnson

        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 6, 2011
          Hi Pauline

          Thanks for checking out the membership map - yes, I know, there are only a few people who've added their location, but I'm hoping more will follow. And actually, the term "membership map" isn't accurate - we have no way of adding just our members to a map (it'd be nice), and, at present, no way of restricting the website to members only. But I didn't want to call it a "visitors map", either, because that implies some kind of automation - that all visitors are added to the map - when in fact it's something that you have to do actively.
          Any better suggestions for what to call it, let me know.
          I'm sorry that you felt "blinded by science", because I do try to keep things as accessible as possible. However, there's always a trade off between simplicity and functionality, and that inevitably means a learning curve for some users (and a shrugging of shoulders from the more tech savvy). But I feel almost obliged to present members of our group - a group dedicated to professional and personal development - with the occasional technological challenge.
          If you are user of the Yahoo group, you should be able to sign in with the same user-name and password.
          But as a TD SIG member, you should have received more than one newsletter. I wonder if Head Office has perhaps got the wrong address for you. I suggest that you get in touch with them and check. You're missing out.
          The website has lots of info about what's going on - the Barcelona Unplugged conference, the Facebook page, our Twitter feed, etc.. That's probably the best place to go to find out what's new.
          Regards