how do you feel about closing this yahoo group?

  • duncanfoord
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 29 11:02 PM
      Hi all
      I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. At the SIG committee meeting we discussed this group and possible ways to encourage more activity and provide a more user friendly space for members to communicate. One solution proposed was to close the group and use the td sig website instead as place to communicate. The website can include a blog and a forum. The blog to be fielded by a different person each month would be for exploring different areas of TD and debating them. The forum would perform a more support and networking function. Members could start and respond to threads on whatever interests them. What do people think. Any further suggestions?
    • Evan Frendo
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 29 11:40 PM
        Hi Duncan

        I would agree - a blog / forum tends to be much better. BESIG also uses Ning and discussion groups on Linked In, which might also be worth looking at.

        Best wishes

        Evan

        --
        Evan Frendo

        Graacher Str 10
        12247 Berlin

        Tel +49 (30) 43201471
        Mob +49 (1762) 1987711
        twitter evanfrendo

        Visit my blog at http://englishfortheworkplace.blogspot.com/
      • Mark Bain
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 29 11:56 PM
          Ning is no longer free, so I don't think it's an option for us poor SIGs anymore, especially seen as there are better, free platforms around, i.e. BuddyPress. LinkedIn is worth looking into, though... although I'm not sure it provides any additional functionality over, say, BuddyPress, which has forums, groups, activity streams (like status updates), befriending, etc. I'll check it out, though.

          On 30 April 2010 08:40, Evan Frendo <evan.frendo@...> wrote:

[...]

          www.markcbain.com

        • Mark Bain
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 30 12:36 AM
            Sorry, I wanted to provide a link for those who are interested.... BuddyPress.org
            If you are really interested, sign up to the demo and give it a try!

            On 30 April 2010 08:56, Mark Bain <markcbain@...> wrote:
[...]

          • Hodgson, Graeme (Brazil)
            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 30 5:12 AM
              Normal version 1.00

              I think using a forum on the website is a great idea, provided there is the option of receiving alerts (weekly digest). Otherwise, the likelihood of members entering the blog/site spontaneously is very low!

              Best,

              Graeme Hodgson

              Director English Language

              Brazil

              Join the Brazil ELT Online Community at http://www.teachingenglish.org.uk/brazil

              British Council - SCN Qd 4 Bl B | Brasilia , DF | 70714900 | Brazil

              T + 55 61 2106-7515 | F + 55 61 2106-7599 | BCTN 217 7515
              E graeme.hodgson@...

              Celebrating 75 years of cultural relations

[...]

                This e-mail and any attachments contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please  delete this e-mail and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal.
              • Pauline Johnson
                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 30 6:40 AM
                  I've dutifully clicked on BuddyPress.org, but can see no indication of where I should look for either a demo or a TDSIG group.

                  Pauline

                  > Sorry, I wanted to provide a link for those who
                  > are interested.. .. BuddyPress.org
                  > If you are really interested, sign up to the demo
                  > and give it a try!
                  >

                  > On 30 April 2010 08:56, Mark Bain <markcbain@gmail.
                  > com> wrote:
                  >

                  > Ning is no longer free, so I don't think it's an
                  > option for us poor SIGs anymore, especially seen as there
                  > are better, free platforms around, i.e. BuddyPress. LinkedIn
                  > is worth looking into, though... although I'm not sure
                  > it provides any additional functionality over, say,
                  > BuddyPress, which has forums, groups, activity streams (like
                  > status updates), befriending, etc. I'll check it out,
                  > though.
                  >

                  > On 30 April 2010 08:40, Evan
                  > Frendo <evan.frendo@
                  > googlemail. com> wrote:

                  > Hi Duncan
                  >
                  > I would agree - a blog / forum tends to be much better.
                  > BESIG also uses Ning and discussion groups on Linked In,
                  > which might also be worth looking at.
                  >
                  > Best wishes
                  >
                  > Evan
                  >

                  > On 30 April 2010 08:02, duncanfoord <duncan@oxfordtefl.
                  > com> wrote:

                  > Hi all
                  >
                  > I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. At the SIG
                  > committee meeting we discussed this group and possible ways
                  > to encourage more activity and provide a more user friendly
                  > space for members to communicate. One solution proposed was
                  > to close the group and use the td sig website instead as
                  > place to communicate. The website can include a blog and a
                  > forum. The blog to be fielded by a different person each
                  > month would be for exploring different areas of TD and
                  > debating them. The forum would perform a more support and
                  > networking function. Members could start and respond to
                  > threads on whatever interests them. What do people think.
                  > Any further suggestions?

                  > --
                  > Evan Frendo
                  >
                  > Graacher Str 10
                  > 12247 Berlin
                  >
                  > Tel +49 (30) 43201471
                  > Mob +49 (1762) 1987711
                  > twitter evanfrendo
                  >
                  > Visit my blog at http://englishforth
                  > eworkplace. blogspot. com/

                  > --
                  > Mark Bain
                  > www.markcbain. com
                  >

                  > --
                  > Mark Bain
                  > www.markcbain. com

                • Mark Bain
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 30 6:50 AM
                    If you are really interested in a demo of BuddyPress, you need to create an account with buddypress.org. The link was provided only for information purposes.
                    We're still at the discussion stage, so there's no TDSIG group using BuddyPress at present.

                    --
                    Mark Bain
                    www.markcbain.com

                  • Maria Nilce
                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 30 7:53 AM

                      It might be a good change! Things are chaging so quickly.
                      Keep me posted.
                      Maria Nilce
                      I've dutifully clicked on BuddyPress.org, but can see no indication of where I should look for either a demo or a TDSIG group.

                      Pauline

                      > Sorry, I wanted to provide a link for those who
                      > are interested.. .. BuddyPress.org
                      > If you are really interested, sign up to the demo
                      > and give it a try!
                      >

                      > On 30 April 2010 08:56, Mark Bain <markcbain@gmail.
                      > com> wrote:
                      >

                      > Ning is no longer free, so I don't think it's an
                      > option for us poor SIGs anymore, especially seen as there
                      > are better, free platforms around, i.e. BuddyPress. LinkedIn
                      > is worth looking into, though... although I'm not sure
                      > it provides any additional functionality over, say,
                      > BuddyPress, which has forums, groups, activity streams (like
                      > status updates), befriending, etc. I'll check it out,
                      > though.
                      >

                      > On 30 April 2010 08:40, Evan
                      > Frendo <evan.frendo@
                      > googlemail. com> wrote:

                      > Hi Duncan
                      >
                      > I would agree - a blog / forum tends to be much better.
                      > BESIG also uses Ning and discussion groups on Linked In,
                      > which might also be worth looking at.
                      >
                      > Best wishes
                      >
                      > Evan
                      >

                      > On 30 April 2010 08:02, duncanfoord <duncan@oxfordtefl.
                      > com> wrote:

                      > Hi all
                      >
                      > I'd like to hear your thoughts on this. At the SIG
                      > committee meeting we discussed this group and possible ways
                      > to encourage more activity and provide a more user friendly
                      > space for members to communicate. One solution proposed was
                      > to close the group and use the td sig website instead as
                      > place to communicate. The website can include a blog and a
                      > forum. The blog to be fielded by a different person each
                      > month would be for exploring different areas of TD and
                      > debating them. The forum would perform a more support and
                      > networking function. Members could start and respond to
                      > threads on whatever interests them. What do people think.
                      > Any further suggestions?

                      > --
                      > Evan Frendo
                      >
                      > Graacher Str 10
                      > 12247 Berlin
                      >
                      > Tel +49 (30) 43201471
                      > Mob +49 (1762) 1987711
                      > twitter evanfrendo
                      >
                      > Visit my blog at http://englishforth
                      > eworkplace. blogspot. com/

                      > --
                      > Mark Bain
                      > www.markcbain. com
                      >

                      > --
                      > Mark Bain
                      > www.markcbain. com

                    • literacyacrosscultures
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 30 10:02 PM
                        OTOH, I can say from experience that once you have got a mailing list together, if you lose all the e-mail addresses, it's hard to get the collection back together.

                        You might consider relaunching the group as a google group and tie it into Google's Buzz to try and make it more active. But that would depend on everyone having google accounts.

                        I think we are seeing a boom in social network sites and activities, but this too will settle down and most people will find they have their limits. If they didn't participate in a particular group online when it was a simle e-mail list, they might not be very interested if it is a social network group.

                        Good luck with whatever you decide.

                        Charles Jannuzi
                        U. of Fukui, Japan
                        http://www.eltinjapan.com
                      • Wendy
                        Message 11 of 11 , May 1, 2010

                          Hi there … the YLT Sig now has 700 odd members but when there is a discussion only about 6-18 people are ever active participants … the vast majority are ‘lurkers’ … it’s not a bad thing at all … most (we think) of the YLT Sif discussion group members are L2 speakers of English and just enjoy reading the postings (I’ve had many conversations with ‘lurkers’ in various parts of the world) … so personally I’d stick to what you know and keep going with discussions … maybe also invite other Sigs to join yours when you have one organised, that’s worked well for us too … I’m not sure if Dennis is a TD Sig member but I’ve copied him in as he’s YLT Sig discussion moderator and he might share some ideas with you … Iskra is shadowing Dennis …

                          Just my tuppence worth … but gut feeling don’t give up … bfn, Wendy