Six things

  • duncanfoord
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15 9:45 AM
      I posted six things for developing teachers on Lindsay Clandfield's blog. The link is below. i'd be interested in your opinions. or better still you could add a thing or two of your own or compile your own 6. We could then compile a top six list by consensus and publish it in the newsletter. The blog has some interesting lists if you have time to check them out

      http://sixthings.net/2009/04/06/six-things-for-developing-teachers/
    • Pauline Johnson
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 22 1:37 PM
        Dear Duncan,

        I've just read what you had to say about your "Six things."

        I did my DELTA in 1987. (It was then called the RSA Diploma in TEFLA).

        I then completed my MA in TEFL in 1992 at Reading. So why are you now saying that I should be doing all these things for a second time?

        I just don't understand what new topic I should be trying to start on what I have already done.

        Pauline

        > I posted six things for developing teachers on
        > Lindsay Clandfield's blog. The link is below. i'd be
        > interested in your opinions. or better still you could add a
        > thing or two of your own or compile your own 6. We could
        > then compile a top six list by consensus and publish it in
        > the newsletter. The blog has some interesting lists if you
        > have time to check them out

      • Juliet du Mont
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 23 1:30 AM
          Hi Pauline,

          I don't think Duncan is suggesting rehashing the content of the Delta or MA (although the content of these qualifications does seem to evolve and sometimes change quite substantially over time).  I think he's stressing the reflective side of personal development which requires input from students, peers, and self-reflective time.  Certainly belonging to and contributing to sites like this one and many others can be a real spur to this kind of reflection.

          Hope to hear more from you soon,

          Juliet

          To: TDSIG@yahoogroups.com
          From: paunjohnson@...
          Date: Wed, 22 Apr 2009 20:37:47 +0000
          Subject: Re: [TDSIG] Six things

          Dear Duncan,

          I've just read what you had to say about your "Six things."

          I did my DELTA in 1987. (It was then called the RSA Diploma in TEFLA).

          I then completed my MA in TEFL in 1992 at Reading. So why are you now saying that I should be doing all these things for a second time?

          I just don't understand what new topic I should be trying to start on what I have already done.

          Pauline

          > I posted six things for developing teachers on
          > Lindsay Clandfield's blog. The link is below. i'd be
          > interested in your opinions. or better still you could add a
          > thing or two of your own or compile your own 6. We could
          > then compile a top six list by consensus and publish it in
          > the newsletter. The blog has some interesting lists if you
          > have time to check them out

        • Adrian Tennant
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 23 2:38 AM
            Hi Pauline,

            Well, to take a slightly different angle from the one Juliet took
            let's try an analogy.

            If you were going in for an operation and the surgeon said to you,
            "Don't worry. I'm fully qualified. I did my last qualification /
            training 17 years ago." how would you feel?

            I think Duncan's main point is that learning is an ongoing process and
            as teachers we should be constantly trying to develop.

            Adrian
          • colin@nantes.fr
            Message 5 of 5 , Apr 23 3:04 AM
              Hi

              I totally agree with Adrian when he says that "Duncan's main point is that
              learning is an ongoing process and as teachers we should be constantly
              trying to develop."

              The six things he mentions are possibilities that we could choose to try,
              I particularly like No1: work from your own script and No6: enjoy yourself
              (I'm going to have to try that).

              Picking up on Adrian's analogy, I'd be quite happy to go to a surgeon
              who'd done their last qualification/training 17 years ago if I thought
              that they had in the meantime taken responsibility for their own
              development, kept up with new ideas, done some action research - OK maybe
              not the last one, but that's where the analogy falls down as a developing
              teacher perhaps needs less training than a developing surgeon.

              All the best

              Colin