Happy New Year

  • diarmuid_fogarty
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 3, 2002
      ...if it's your New Year.

      To try and kick the list back to life after the holidays, two
      questions:

      1. have any of you had a teaching dream/nightmare in the run up to
      the return to work? Do you still get them? Have you ever had them? An
      idea for the SIG magazine (which we could start here) would be to
      have a column in which some luckless victim told their dream. How
      many of them would be the same/variations on a theme?

      2. Any books or authors that you have been gobsmacked by? Don't have
      to be professionally related.
    • Colin Mackenzie
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2002
        Re: [TDSIG] Happy New Year

        1. have any of you had a teaching dream/nightmare in the run up to
        the return to work? Do you still get them? Have you ever had them? An
        idea for the SIG magazine (which we could start here) would be to
        have a column in which some luckless victim told their dream. How
        many of them would be the same/variations on a theme?

        I've never had a teaching dream that I remember, but I remember so few dreams. However about five year back Scott Thornbury gave a paper at the IATEFL conference in Manchester on exactly that topic, he had done a survey of his certificate or diploma trainees and had culled a fair number of dreams, as I remember, about 50% had had dreams in which they were teaching naked, I'm sure he'd furnish you with details if you asked.

        2. Any books or authors that you have been gobsmacked by? Don't have
        to be professionally related.

        A couple of books that I found really interesting and made me say, yes that's an excellent explanation, until another comes along are:

        Grooming, Gossip and the Evolution of Language in which Robin Dunbar claims that we only evolved big brains in order to talk and the advantage that this gave us is that we could gossip and therefore form bigger cohesive groups. and

        Archaeology and Language by Colin Renfrew, of which what I remember best is that the Indo-European languages were not spread by hordes rushing in from the steppes or anything like that, rather by the slow spread of improved agricultural methods

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Graham S Hall
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 11, 2005
          Dear colleagues

          Happy New Year to everybody and welcome back to the TD list.

          I'm piecing together a schedule for fielded discussions for the next few
          months (more slowly than I'd hoped - apologies), and will let you know as
          and when things get firmed up. Over the next few days, however, I'll try to
          find something web-based to stimulate early-in-the-year thinking...

          best wishes again

          Graham

          ====
          This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private and
          confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee, please take
          no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please reply to this e-mail
          to highlight the error. You should also be aware that all electronic mail
          from, to, or within Northumbria University may be the subject of a request
          under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and related legislation, and
          therefore may be required to be disclosed to third parties.
          This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to leaving
          Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be liable for any
          losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.