October discussion topic

  • duncanfoord
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
      Hope you all enjoyed your summer. I thought we could try doing a topic
      monthly. Weekly and even 2 weekly is probably a bit ambitious.
      Remember if you have a topic you would like the group to discuss, let
      me know. Here is a topic for October to get us started. I remember
      hearing a speaker say (something like) this at the IATEFL conference
      a couple of years ago and it caused some controversy. I remember it
      well because I didn't know what "constructivism" was at the time.

      "Constructivism is just a passing fashion. It will be forgotten in a
      few years" Do you agree?
    • Anthony Gaughan
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
        "...Constructivism is just a passing fashion. It will be forgotten in a
        few years" Do you agree?

        Well, whether I agree or not, three points:

        1) many things may fall out of fashion with the passing of time; this is not necessarily a reflection on their validity
        2) considering constructivism has been around since at least the 1920s, it does not seem to fit my description of a novel bandwagon
        3) "the long run" may prove to be a valid test of worth, but (to quote Keynes) "in the long run, we're all dead"

        Not much of a contribution, but at least it is seeking to be "constructive ;-)

        Anthony, Berlin

      • darrenrelliott
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2008
          Considering virtually every presentation I`ve attended in the last
          couple of years has cited Vygotsky at some point, I think the concept
          still has legs.

          However, you might be interested in this idea, which claims to be a
          break with previous theories but I feel to be an "update" for
          constructivism...

          http://www.elearnspace.org/Articles/connectivism.htm

          Darren Elliott
          Nanzan University