Request for assistance

  • darren elliott
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2006
      Dear Colleagues,

      A request for help with MA research regarding `teachers adapting to new contexts and roles’

      Could you spare some time to complete a brief questionnaire?

      Explanatory Statement
      I am a member of IATEFL and a student on the Masters in ELT at
      Nottingham Trent University . I am currently researching my dissertation,
      investigating the process of how teachers adapt to new teaching contexts and roles.

      It is for this reason that I am appealing for participants to complete
      the attached questionnaire. Please feel free to forward a copy to any teaching colleagues that may be happy to assist.

      If you would like any more information regarding this research project,
      please contact me at: darrenrelliott@... (darrenrelliott at yahoo dot co dot uk )

      Thank you in anticipation.

      Kind regards,

      Darren Elliott

      PLEASE RETURN THE COMPLETED QUESTIONNAIRE TO:

      darrenrelliott@... (darrenrelliott at yahoo dot co dot uk )

      BY WEDNESDAY 30th DECEMBER 2006

      If you would prefer to send the questionnaire by post, please return to:

      Darren Elliott
      62 Peverells Wood Avenue
      Chandler’s Ford
      Eastleigh
      Hampshire
      SO53 2BW
      UNITED KINGDOM

      Your name will remain confidential and details of your responses will
      only be disclosed with your permission.

      Questionnaire

      1. Brief Biography

      Name (or pseudonym):

      ELT Qualifications:

      Please complete the grid below about your experience as an English Language Teacher.

      country
      length of time
      context
      roles

      2. Please consider a point in your career when you moved from one context to another and keep it in mind as you answer the following questions. For example, the study was inspired by my own move from private language schools in Asia to the UK Higher Education sector, and how I tried to develop professionally to adapt to new challenges.

      Briefly describe the context you left and the context you moved into.

      How much did you know about the new context before you started work? How much would you have liked to have known?

      How long did it take you to leave your old job behind mentally?

      How useful were the following in helping you learn to work in your new context
      Please check the boxes.

      Tried
      Didn’t try
      Not Applicable
      very useful
      useful
      not at all useful
      Observation of your own classes by peers

      Observation of your own classes by trainers/ managers

      Observation of peers classes

      Observation of trainers’/ managers’ classes

      Reading (journals, magazines, newsletters, books, online resources)

      Courses leading to formal qualifications

      In-service training in the workplace

      Learner Feedback

      Collaboration/ cooperation/ discussion with colleagues at your workplace

      Collaboration/ cooperation/ discussion with colleagues through membership of professional organisations

      Reflective practice/ diary

      Other

      Still considering the particular change in context you thought of earlier, please comment on the usefulness of any of the following in your own experience.
      Observation of your own classes by peers

      Observation of your own classes by trainers/ managers

      (Message over 64 KB, truncated)
    • George & Mahin Murdoch
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 16, 2006
        Dear Darren,

        I have completed your questionnaire and will send it
        back with this message. Your research sounds
        interesting. I would be interested in hearing about
        your findings when you have completed your study.

        Hope it all goes well. Regards,

        George

        === message truncated ===

        http://mail.yahoo.com