online course advice

  • alexmackey73
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 14, 2006
      Hi Everyone,

      I'm new to this list.

      My colleague went to the IATEFL conference in Harrowgate this year
      and got me interested in the e-lists IATEFL runs - so here I am, and
      nice to meet you all.

      The reason I'm writing now is that I'm looking for an online teacher
      development course I can do this summer - preferably in July. I've
      found a few - the Institute of Education has one in online teaching,
      and so do these people:

      http://www.theconsultants-e.com/courses/index.asp

      I'm particularly interested in this one, because the feedback from
      past participants is very positive, it's within my budget, and the
      July course content looks good - but I just wondered if anyone had
      done a course with either place - and if you'd recommend it. I've
      never done a course online before, so any recommendations or advice
      would be welcome.

      I'd really appreciate a quick answer, as deadlines are approaching.

      Thanks to you all in advance,

      Alex
    • tonfoster@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 14, 2006
        Alex

        I'm one of those cited on the site, so to speak. Have done two courses
        with them: the Trinity E-moderators' course and the Moodle one. Did the
        E-Moderators' course when they were still using Blackboard, but I
        believe that this is now Moodle-based.

        Both courses were very competently run - tutors highly supportive and
        responsive (i.e. available), which I think is essential when you dig
        yourself into a hole on a Sunday afternoon, trying to juggle with
        Moodle (not the most intuitive of VLEs) alongside your normal
        commitments. Although reasonably PC-competent, I knew nothing about
        VLEs before the E-Moderators' course, but I had a clear purpose in mind
        - that's vital, I think - and within four months had launched (along
        with a colleague who'd also trained with Consultants-E) a fully online
        Trinity DipTESOL (apart from the final f2f element) for a group of
        teachers in New Zealand. Very hard work - multiply contact hours by n
        (=3 or even 4) when delivering online - but it went very well,
        supported by Skype. Am now into my third online Dip and actually
        revelling in having - dare I say? - most of my work programmes /
        study-guides ready. Am also using Blackboard to provide customised
        ESP-type language support for overseas students at the FE college where
        I work, in a sort of blended-learning fashion, and have collated,
        catalogued and made available to students and colleagues large numbers
        of vetted (T)ESOL websites, again through the VLE

        Acorns and mighty oaks spring (or should that read 'sprout'?) readily
        to mind ...

        TF

        Tony Foster
        Senior Lecturer
        English Language Teaching Unit
        Langside College Glasgow
        50 Prospecthill Road
        GLASGOW
        G42 9LB
        Scotland

        Tel: +44 141 272 3872 (direct line & voicemail)
        Fax: +44 141 632 5252
        Email: tfoster@..., forwarded to: tonfoster@...

[...]

        Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
        are not
        necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.
        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • alexmackey73
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 15, 2006
          Tony,
          Thanks for your help and comments. I posted my message to a few
          other teaching lists, and have got some similar advice, with other
          people who have done the ConsultantsE course saying it was really
          good. I'm going to sign up for July (wish me luck!) - yes, they use
          Moodle for courses, which I also want to learn about, everyone is
          talking about it.

          Thanks for warning me about how much time online work takes - and it
          sounds like you are doing some good online work with your own
          students/trainees. I hope to know more about all of this myself
          after the course, online work does seem to be the future.

          Thanks again for your help,
          Alex