Harrogate etc

  • elkatodeva
    Message 1 of 23 , Mar 15, 2006
      Greetings, TDSIGers:

      I am back in Vermont and my office with regular access to internet.
      Supervising in Mexico was great as always, not only because of the
      lovely weather. Nothing compares with exploring issues with
      colleagues – one learns so much and it is for ever challenging to
      examine things from different perspectives and see the logic other
      people use to structure their teaching practice in ways that may
      often differ from our own. It is also very helpful when you have to
      justify and articulate your rationale for doing things in a
      particular way. The probing and the post-observation conversations
      were enlightening and enriching for both the ones observed and the
      one doing the observation. I liked it that my supervisees referred
      to the experience as SUPERvision and did not feel judged as the
      term `supervision' often suggests.

      I had an interesting experience while in Veracruz. Some Mexican
      colleagues asked me to have a look and give them some feedback on
      their proposal for their Ministry of Education regarding their
      request to start an MAT Program in Veracruz. They had hired a
      professional curriculum writer, who had no degree or any experience
      in the area of language teaching. Interestingly enough, that person
      had done a remarkably decent job. I could tell that certain things
      were a little off but all in all, this was a very solid proposal –
      the man had just looked at a number of MAT programs in Europe,
      America, and Australia. This has a lot to say about research well
      done!!! This is one reason why I personally will be very interested
      to hear what has been people experience in getting their education
      in various countries with different programs.

      I will be also interested to get a sense of how many of the TDSIG
      members will be coming to Harrogate. For some time now I have had
      the nagging feeling that a lot of people can't afford to go to
      IATEFL or TESOL these days because of constraints, money or timewise.

      Finally, it would be interesting perhaps if people share what issues
      they would like to hear addressed in Harrogate. Among other things I
      am still very excited about the concept of "core English" (ELF/EIL)
      and all of its implications. My own presentation will be an
      exploration of some questions around this notion – what is the type
      of language we should explore with the students so that we can
      empower them the most by giving them the most mileage with the least
      effort.

      Looking forward to some interesting conversations.

      Elka Todeva
      Department of Language Teacher Education
      SIT
    • Ingrid Gürtler
      Message 2 of 23 , Mar 18, 2006
        Dear Elka,
        Well, I won´t be coming to Harrogate this year - you are right about
        constraints. However, I am looking forward to Aberdeen 2007 and plan to
        be there. Everyone who is going, enjoy yourselves.
        Cheers
        Ingrid

      • Elka Todeva
        Message 3 of 23 , Mar 19, 2006
          Hi, Ingrid:
          Thank you for your note. I suspect other people won't be able to attend
          as well. It's great that we have the IATEFL Selections to give people a
          taste of what participants/presenters buzzed about at the conference.
          Maybe we can also think of other ways of giving a fuller picture of the
          range of issues discussed at this and other forums.
          Elka
          Elka Todeva
          DLTE/SIT
> [...]
          > >am still very excited about the concept of "core English" (ELF/EIL)
          > >and all of its implications. My own presentation will be an
          > >exploration of some questions around this notion – what is the type
          > >of language we should explore with the students so that we can
          > >empower them the most by giving them the most mileage with the least
          > >effort.
          > >
          > >Looking forward to some interesting conversations.
          > >
          > >Elka Todeva
          > >Department of Language Teacher Education
          > >SIT
          > >

          > >Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
          > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links
          > >

          > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
          > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

        • Juliet du Mont
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 19, 2006
            Dear Elka, Ingrid and All,

            No, I won't be there this year either - residing in the Amazon really puts
            constraints on attending more than every other year, maximum! But yes, have
            a great time and let it all spill over to the rest of us!

            Juliet

          • Jenny de Sonneville
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 20, 2006
              Message
              Hi Elka, Ingrid and others

              I won't be able to go to Harrowgate either. But I really enjoyed the TDGI SIG Development and Internationalism Conference at the University of Sussex on 11 March. There was a plenary by Michael Eraut. He is Professor of Education at Sussex and during the last 15 years he has focussed on professional knowledge across a wide range of professions. His talk was concerned with : what is being learned, how it is being learned and what factors determine the magnitude and direction of the learning. I am interested in how people learn and how we as teachers can become more aware of what influences the learning process.

              What I found perhaps most interesting in his talk was his comment that , in fact,  often we learn much more from informal interaction with colleagues and from situations where we are busy "on the job" and not even aware that we are learning. He emphasises learning together with others. I also attended 2 very interesting workshops - one by Ingrid Haas, where she challenged us to question our own cultural perceptions using practical situations. Followed by one by Gill Johnson on "Culture in the classroom". Unfortunately I had to leave early to catch my plane and missed Tessa Woodward's closing plenary.

              My own workshop was: Telling tales - exploring issues of social interaction in the classroom. First we briefly explored how the attitudes and behaviour of others in their social context had influenced their speaking langauges other than their mother tongue. Thenw we looked at a case study from ny work and we discussed the implications for the classroom.

              It would be interested to think if / how participants who attend the Harrowgate conference could give the rest of us some insight into the "buzz" issues. Perhaps a simple discussion - "What I most enjoyed at Harrowgate" ???

              Jenny

            • Ingrid Gürtler
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 20, 2006
                Oh, Jenny, I do love your play on words with Harrowgate - that should
                provide plenty of scope for telling tales. But I do agree with the
                "informal interaction, learning from others". At the moment this seems
                to be my most developmental process both positive and negative. Most of
                it has to do with directing group processes and keeping up motivation in
                the face of adversity. It also has to do with seeing what happens when
                you think you can define quality in terms of hard and fast criteria,
                which are not hard and fast, but only appear to be so and what then
                happens to group processes, which, up till then seemed to be ticking
                over quite nicely. Sorry about the long sentence. It is all very
                instructive and can hopefully be put to good use at some point.
                Ingrid

                Jenny de Sonneville schrieb:

                > Hi Elka, Ingrid and others
                >
                > I won't be able to go to Harrowgate either. But I really enjoyed the
                > TDGI SIG Development and Internationalism Conference at the University
                > of Sussex on 11 March. There was a plenary by Michael Eraut. He is
                > Professor of Education at Sussex and during the last 15 years he has
                > focussed on professional knowledge across a wide range of professions.
                > His talk was concerned with : what is being learned, how it is being
                > learned and what factors determine the magnitude and direction of the
                > learning. I am interested in how people learn and how we as teachers
                > can become more aware of what influences the learning process.
                >
                > What I found perhaps most interesting in his talk was his comment that
                > , in fact, often we learn much more from informal interaction with
                > colleagues and from situations where we are busy "on the job" and not
                > even aware that we are learning. He emphasises learning together
                > with others. I also attended 2 very interesting workshops - one by
                > Ingrid Haas, where she challenged us to question our own cultural
                > perceptions using practical situations. Followed by one by Gill
                > Johnson on "Culture in the classroom". Unfortunately I had to leave
                > early to catch my plane and missed Tessa Woodward's closing plenary.
                >
                > My own workshop was: Telling tales - exploring issues of social
                > interaction in the classroom. First we briefly explored how the
                > attitudes and behaviour of others in their social context had
                > influenced their speaking langauges other than their mother tongue.
                > Thenw we looked at a case study from ny work and we discussed the
                > implications for the classroom.
                >
                > It would be interested to think if / how participants who attend the
                > Harrowgate conference could give the rest of us some insight into the
                > "buzz" issues. Perhaps a simple discussion - "What I most enjoyed at
                > Harrowgate" ???
                >
                > Jenny
                >

                > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
                > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

              • Sandra Piai
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 21, 2006
                  Hi Jenny and others!

                  Really glad you enjoyed the TD/GI SIG conference in Sussex - for obvious
                  reason!!

                  I think it'd be a great idea to have a 'what I enjoyed most in Harrogate'
                  discussion and will certainly post something about what I enjoyed/found
                  interesting.

                  Sandra

                  --On 20 March 2006 15:43 +0100 Jenny de Sonneville <DeSonneville@...>
                  wrote:

                  > Hi Elka, Ingrid and others
                  >
                  > I won't be able to go to Harrowgate either. But I really enjoyed the TDGI
                  > SIG Development and Internationalism Conference at the University of
                  > Sussex on 11 March. There was a plenary by Michael Eraut. He is Professor
                  > of Education at Sussex and during the last 15 years he has focussed on
                  > professional knowledge across a wide range of professions. His talk was
                  > concerned with : what is being learned, how it is being learned and what
                  > factors determine the magnitude and direction of the learning. I am
                  > interested in how people learn and how we as teachers can become more
                  > aware of what influences the learning process.
                  >
                  > What I found perhaps most interesting in his talk was his comment that ,
                  > in fact, often we learn much more from informal interaction with
                  > colleagues and from situations where we are busy "on the job" and not
                  > even aware that we are learning. He emphasises learning together with
                  > others. I also attended 2 very interesting workshops - one by Ingrid
                  > Haas, where she challenged us to question our own cultural perceptions
                  > using practical situations. Followed by one by Gill Johnson on "Culture
                  > in the classroom". Unfortunately I had to leave early to catch my plane
                  > and missed Tessa Woodward's closing plenary.
                  >
                  > My own workshop was: Telling tales - exploring issues of social
                  > interaction in the classroom. First we briefly explored how the attitudes
                  > and behaviour of others in their social context had influenced their
                  > speaking langauges other than their mother tongue. Thenw we looked at a
                  > case study from ny work and we discussed the implications for the
                  > classroom.
                  >
                  > It would be interested to think if / how participants who attend the
                  > Harrowgate conference could give the rest of us some insight into the
                  > "buzz" issues. Perhaps a simple discussion - "What I most enjoyed at
                  > Harrowgate" ???
                  >
                  > Jenny

                • Elka Todeva
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 22, 2006
                    Greetings, dear TDSIGers (writers and lurkers, as somebody on our list
                    described herself a few months ago, just reading the postings but too
                    busy to respond to the various threads)
                    From our exchanges and other e-mails I have been getting, it seems that
                    quite a few people won't be able to make it this year. Take good notes,
                    folks - those who will be there - and then post them for all to benefit
                    from. The other way of professional enrichment is for all of us to share
                    things we (and our teaching communities) are buzzing about and consider
                    particularly enriching.
                    Take good care & happy spring!

                    Elka Todeva
                    DLTE /SIT
                    March 22

> [...]
                    > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
                    > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.</tt>
                    >
                    > <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
                    >

                    > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                    > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
                    > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
                    > <ul>
                    > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
                    > href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TDSIG">TDSIG</a>" on the
                    > web.<br> </tt>
                    > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                    > email to:<br> <a
                    > href="mailto:TDSIG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">TDS
                    > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                    > Service</a>.</tt>
                    > </ul>
                    > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

                  • sabiha tunc
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 22, 2006
                      Dear colleagues,
                      It would be really great to share the details of the exciting IATEFL
                      conference in Harrogate since I am one of the colleagues who won't be able
                      to attend the conference this year. We are busy with organising the venue
                      for the TTEd & TD SIG conference in May in Ankara, Baskent University and it
                      would be an opportunity for us to meet because I know that some of you would
                      be there as well. If you are interested we can also share the insights from
                      this event following the discussion about the IATEFL conference.

                      Best wishes,

                      Sabiha Tun�

                      Ba�kent University
                      English Language School
                      Head of Curriculum Unit

                      >From: "Elka Todeva" <Elka.Todeva@...>
                      >To: TDSIG@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Piai" <S.M.Piai@...>
                      >Subject: RE: [TDSIG] Harrogate etc
                      >Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:24:50 -0500
                      >
                      >Greetings, dear TDSIGers (writers and lurkers, as somebody on our list
                      >described herself a few months ago, just reading the postings but too
                      >busy to respond to the various threads)
                      >From our exchanges and other e-mails I have been getting, it seems that
                      >quite a few people won't be able to make it this year. Take good notes,
                      >folks - those who will be there - and then post them for all to benefit
                      >from. The other way of professional enrichment is for all of us to share
                      >things we (and our teaching communities) are buzzing about and consider
                      >particularly enriching.
                      >Take good care & happy spring!
                      >
                      >Elka Todeva
                      >DLTE /SIT
                      >March 22

                      En etkili ve g�venilir PC Korumayi tercih edin, rahat edin!
                      http://www.msn.com.tr/security/
                    • Elka Todeva
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 23, 2006
                        Thank you for your note, Sabiha.
                        It will be great if we get summaries of the Ankara discussions.
                        It will be interesting to see, among other things, if regional forums
                        raise different issues as compared with the two biggies, TESOL and
                        IATEFL. I know that JALT (the Japanese Association of Language Teachers)
                        often has a different focus. They even had what they called "sheltered
                        English presentations" for people who have a lot to contribute but feel
                        a little insecure to present in English in front of international
                        audiences.
                        Elka