RE: [TDSIG] comments on before and a question re teacher development

  • Jenny de Sonneville
    Message 1 of 23 , Feb 8, 2006
      Message
      Hi Ingrid and Juliet,

      In your emails I could recognise so many aspects similar to my own situation: "the conflict of admin work as opposed to
      teaching, but also the conflict between sensible course planning and having to worry about whether I am going to make
      enough money in my department to achieve the goal set by my institution. "

      In education the administartive load seems to have vastly increased. Sometimes I think computers have been a mixed blessing! Then the pressure to be economically self-reliant. I work in an institute of the Dutch protestant church and for the first years did not have to worry about the finances. Being a basic believer in self-reliance I accept it as a worthy principle and - in simple terms -as Language Coordinator I like to know that I organise enough courses to cover the cost of my own salary. But the problem is that after several mergers we are now in a huge bureaucratic organization so our language department is having to pay vast overheads for the IT dept, the comunications dept, the printing department, etc etc and we receive little benefit from these. Acquisition of courses is a constant concern - on top of the admin.

      In fact, like you, what keeps me going is my contact with the teachers, listening to them talk about their courses, sharing their ups and downs, giving my perspectives, trying despite my busy schedule to find time to arrange workshops, sharing practice and creating theory together from the practice - trying to get in touch with my own Flow and my own development - though at times it seems far away! Sometimes my development seems so unstructured. It happens between the chaos of the other activities. Or perhaps it is trying to create structure from the chaos!

      Jenny

    • Ingrid Gürtler
      Message 2 of 23 , Feb 8, 2006
        Hi Jenny,
        It´s good to hear that others out there are having similar problems. We
        too have "acquired" various departments that bring us very little but
        are calculated into our own overhead. I find that I distinctly dislike
        thinking of education as an "industry", but it is even getting to the
        point that while revelling in the chances I have to talk to teachers
        about pedagogical issues and developmental areas I feel
        1. a bit like I am playing hooky, because I should be doing "proper"
        work and
        2. at the moment very cynical, since as I mentioned before we are in the
        process of cutting our teachers´pay by 20%. It´s a big slap in the face
        to involved and enthusiastic people.
        Cheers
        Ingrid

      • Juliet du Mont
        Message 3 of 23 , Feb 8, 2006
          Dear Ingrid and Jenny,

          I have been quiet ever since Ingrid wrote about her problems but my
          quietness has been the result not only of sympathizing and having nothing
          helpful to say, but also of the crushing amount of admin work suddenly in my
          lap, uninvited, since a colleague Coordinator is no longer available to work
          with us. Hmmm! And I just want to teach and ruminate and experiment and
          ponder! My situation is in a small private school so chaotic that I am not
          even paid for the sudden responsibility of hiring teachers and coordinating
          courses. And now there�s Jenny�s situation too! Still nothing helpful to
          add, except as they say around here:

          Queixo para cima! (Chin Up!) Things must get better!

          Juliet

        • elkatodeva
          Message 4 of 23 , Mar 15, 2006
            Greetings, TDSIGers:

            I am back in Vermont and my office with regular access to internet.
            Supervising in Mexico was great as always, not only because of the
            lovely weather. Nothing compares with exploring issues with
            colleagues – one learns so much and it is for ever challenging to
            examine things from different perspectives and see the logic other
            people use to structure their teaching practice in ways that may
            often differ from our own. It is also very helpful when you have to
            justify and articulate your rationale for doing things in a
            particular way. The probing and the post-observation conversations
            were enlightening and enriching for both the ones observed and the
            one doing the observation. I liked it that my supervisees referred
            to the experience as SUPERvision and did not feel judged as the
            term `supervision' often suggests.

            I had an interesting experience while in Veracruz. Some Mexican
            colleagues asked me to have a look and give them some feedback on
            their proposal for their Ministry of Education regarding their
            request to start an MAT Program in Veracruz. They had hired a
            professional curriculum writer, who had no degree or any experience
            in the area of language teaching. Interestingly enough, that person
            had done a remarkably decent job. I could tell that certain things
            were a little off but all in all, this was a very solid proposal –
            the man had just looked at a number of MAT programs in Europe,
            America, and Australia. This has a lot to say about research well
            done!!! This is one reason why I personally will be very interested
            to hear what has been people experience in getting their education
            in various countries with different programs.

            I will be also interested to get a sense of how many of the TDSIG
            members will be coming to Harrogate. For some time now I have had
            the nagging feeling that a lot of people can't afford to go to
            IATEFL or TESOL these days because of constraints, money or timewise.

            Finally, it would be interesting perhaps if people share what issues
            they would like to hear addressed in Harrogate. Among other things I
            am still very excited about the concept of "core English" (ELF/EIL)
            and all of its implications. My own presentation will be an
            exploration of some questions around this notion – what is the type
            of language we should explore with the students so that we can
            empower them the most by giving them the most mileage with the least
            effort.

            Looking forward to some interesting conversations.

            Elka Todeva
            Department of Language Teacher Education
            SIT
          • Ingrid Gürtler
            Message 5 of 23 , Mar 18, 2006
              Dear Elka,
              Well, I won´t be coming to Harrogate this year - you are right about
              constraints. However, I am looking forward to Aberdeen 2007 and plan to
              be there. Everyone who is going, enjoy yourselves.
              Cheers
              Ingrid

            • Elka Todeva
              Message 6 of 23 , Mar 19, 2006
                Hi, Ingrid:
                Thank you for your note. I suspect other people won't be able to attend
                as well. It's great that we have the IATEFL Selections to give people a
                taste of what participants/presenters buzzed about at the conference.
                Maybe we can also think of other ways of giving a fuller picture of the
                range of issues discussed at this and other forums.
                Elka
                Elka Todeva
                DLTE/SIT
> [...]
                > >am still very excited about the concept of "core English" (ELF/EIL)
                > >and all of its implications. My own presentation will be an
                > >exploration of some questions around this notion – what is the type
                > >of language we should explore with the students so that we can
                > >empower them the most by giving them the most mileage with the least
                > >effort.
                > >
                > >Looking forward to some interesting conversations.
                > >
                > >Elka Todeva
                > >Department of Language Teacher Education
                > >SIT
                > >

                > >Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
                > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.
                > >Yahoo! Groups Links
                > >

                > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
                > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

              • Juliet du Mont
                Message 7 of 23 , Mar 19, 2006
                  Dear Elka, Ingrid and All,

                  No, I won't be there this year either - residing in the Amazon really puts
                  constraints on attending more than every other year, maximum! But yes, have
                  a great time and let it all spill over to the rest of us!

                  Juliet

                • Jenny de Sonneville
                  Message 8 of 23 , Mar 20, 2006
                    Message
                    Hi Elka, Ingrid and others

                    I won't be able to go to Harrowgate either. But I really enjoyed the TDGI SIG Development and Internationalism Conference at the University of Sussex on 11 March. There was a plenary by Michael Eraut. He is Professor of Education at Sussex and during the last 15 years he has focussed on professional knowledge across a wide range of professions. His talk was concerned with : what is being learned, how it is being learned and what factors determine the magnitude and direction of the learning. I am interested in how people learn and how we as teachers can become more aware of what influences the learning process.

                    What I found perhaps most interesting in his talk was his comment that , in fact,  often we learn much more from informal interaction with colleagues and from situations where we are busy "on the job" and not even aware that we are learning. He emphasises learning together with others. I also attended 2 very interesting workshops - one by Ingrid Haas, where she challenged us to question our own cultural perceptions using practical situations. Followed by one by Gill Johnson on "Culture in the classroom". Unfortunately I had to leave early to catch my plane and missed Tessa Woodward's closing plenary.

                    My own workshop was: Telling tales - exploring issues of social interaction in the classroom. First we briefly explored how the attitudes and behaviour of others in their social context had influenced their speaking langauges other than their mother tongue. Thenw we looked at a case study from ny work and we discussed the implications for the classroom.

                    It would be interested to think if / how participants who attend the Harrowgate conference could give the rest of us some insight into the "buzz" issues. Perhaps a simple discussion - "What I most enjoyed at Harrowgate" ???

                    Jenny

                  • Ingrid Gürtler
                    Message 9 of 23 , Mar 20, 2006
                      Oh, Jenny, I do love your play on words with Harrowgate - that should
                      provide plenty of scope for telling tales. But I do agree with the
                      "informal interaction, learning from others". At the moment this seems
                      to be my most developmental process both positive and negative. Most of
                      it has to do with directing group processes and keeping up motivation in
                      the face of adversity. It also has to do with seeing what happens when
                      you think you can define quality in terms of hard and fast criteria,
                      which are not hard and fast, but only appear to be so and what then
                      happens to group processes, which, up till then seemed to be ticking
                      over quite nicely. Sorry about the long sentence. It is all very
                      instructive and can hopefully be put to good use at some point.
                      Ingrid

                      Jenny de Sonneville schrieb:

                      > Hi Elka, Ingrid and others
                      >
                      > I won't be able to go to Harrowgate either. But I really enjoyed the
                      > TDGI SIG Development and Internationalism Conference at the University
                      > of Sussex on 11 March. There was a plenary by Michael Eraut. He is
                      > Professor of Education at Sussex and during the last 15 years he has
                      > focussed on professional knowledge across a wide range of professions.
                      > His talk was concerned with : what is being learned, how it is being
                      > learned and what factors determine the magnitude and direction of the
                      > learning. I am interested in how people learn and how we as teachers
                      > can become more aware of what influences the learning process.
                      >
                      > What I found perhaps most interesting in his talk was his comment that
                      > , in fact, often we learn much more from informal interaction with
                      > colleagues and from situations where we are busy "on the job" and not
                      > even aware that we are learning. He emphasises learning together
                      > with others. I also attended 2 very interesting workshops - one by
                      > Ingrid Haas, where she challenged us to question our own cultural
                      > perceptions using practical situations. Followed by one by Gill
                      > Johnson on "Culture in the classroom". Unfortunately I had to leave
                      > early to catch my plane and missed Tessa Woodward's closing plenary.
                      >
                      > My own workshop was: Telling tales - exploring issues of social
                      > interaction in the classroom. First we briefly explored how the
                      > attitudes and behaviour of others in their social context had
                      > influenced their speaking langauges other than their mother tongue.
                      > Thenw we looked at a case study from ny work and we discussed the
                      > implications for the classroom.
                      >
                      > It would be interested to think if / how participants who attend the
                      > Harrowgate conference could give the rest of us some insight into the
                      > "buzz" issues. Perhaps a simple discussion - "What I most enjoyed at
                      > Harrowgate" ???
                      >
                      > Jenny
                      >

                      > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
                      > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

                    • Sandra Piai
                      Message 10 of 23 , Mar 21, 2006
                        Hi Jenny and others!

                        Really glad you enjoyed the TD/GI SIG conference in Sussex - for obvious
                        reason!!

                        I think it'd be a great idea to have a 'what I enjoyed most in Harrogate'
                        discussion and will certainly post something about what I enjoyed/found
                        interesting.

                        Sandra

                        --On 20 March 2006 15:43 +0100 Jenny de Sonneville <DeSonneville@...>
                        wrote:

                        > Hi Elka, Ingrid and others
                        >
                        > I won't be able to go to Harrowgate either. But I really enjoyed the TDGI
                        > SIG Development and Internationalism Conference at the University of
                        > Sussex on 11 March. There was a plenary by Michael Eraut. He is Professor
                        > of Education at Sussex and during the last 15 years he has focussed on
                        > professional knowledge across a wide range of professions. His talk was
                        > concerned with : what is being learned, how it is being learned and what
                        > factors determine the magnitude and direction of the learning. I am
                        > interested in how people learn and how we as teachers can become more
                        > aware of what influences the learning process.
                        >
                        > What I found perhaps most interesting in his talk was his comment that ,
                        > in fact, often we learn much more from informal interaction with
                        > colleagues and from situations where we are busy "on the job" and not
                        > even aware that we are learning. He emphasises learning together with
                        > others. I also attended 2 very interesting workshops - one by Ingrid
                        > Haas, where she challenged us to question our own cultural perceptions
                        > using practical situations. Followed by one by Gill Johnson on "Culture
                        > in the classroom". Unfortunately I had to leave early to catch my plane
                        > and missed Tessa Woodward's closing plenary.
                        >
                        > My own workshop was: Telling tales - exploring issues of social
                        > interaction in the classroom. First we briefly explored how the attitudes
                        > and behaviour of others in their social context had influenced their
                        > speaking langauges other than their mother tongue. Thenw we looked at a
                        > case study from ny work and we discussed the implications for the
                        > classroom.
                        >
                        > It would be interested to think if / how participants who attend the
                        > Harrowgate conference could give the rest of us some insight into the
                        > "buzz" issues. Perhaps a simple discussion - "What I most enjoyed at
                        > Harrowgate" ???
                        >
                        > Jenny

                      • Elka Todeva
                        Message 11 of 23 , Mar 22, 2006
                          Greetings, dear TDSIGers (writers and lurkers, as somebody on our list
                          described herself a few months ago, just reading the postings but too
                          busy to respond to the various threads)
                          From our exchanges and other e-mails I have been getting, it seems that
                          quite a few people won't be able to make it this year. Take good notes,
                          folks - those who will be there - and then post them for all to benefit
                          from. The other way of professional enrichment is for all of us to share
                          things we (and our teaching communities) are buzzing about and consider
                          particularly enriching.
                          Take good care & happy spring!

                          Elka Todeva
                          DLTE /SIT
                          March 22

> [...]
                          > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They
                          > are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.</tt>
                          >
                          > <!-- |**|end egp html banner|**| -->
                          >

                          > <!-- |**|begin egp html banner|**| -->

                          > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">
                          > <tt>YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS</tt>
                          > <ul>
                          > <tt><li type=square> Visit your group "<a
                          > href="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TDSIG">TDSIG</a>" on the
                          > web.<br> </tt>
                          > <tt><li type=square> To unsubscribe from this group, send an
                          > email to:<br> <a
                          > href="mailto:TDSIG-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com?subject=Unsubscribe">TDS
                          > <tt><li type=square> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the
                          > Service</a>.</tt>
                          > </ul>
                          > <hr style="border-bottom:1px; width:500px; text-align:left;">

                        • sabiha tunc
                          Message 12 of 23 , Mar 22, 2006
                            Dear colleagues,
                            It would be really great to share the details of the exciting IATEFL
                            conference in Harrogate since I am one of the colleagues who won't be able
                            to attend the conference this year. We are busy with organising the venue
                            for the TTEd & TD SIG conference in May in Ankara, Baskent University and it
                            would be an opportunity for us to meet because I know that some of you would
                            be there as well. If you are interested we can also share the insights from
                            this event following the discussion about the IATEFL conference.

                            Best wishes,

                            Sabiha Tun�

                            Ba�kent University
                            English Language School
                            Head of Curriculum Unit

                            >From: "Elka Todeva" <Elka.Todeva@...>
                            >To: TDSIG@yahoogroups.com, "Sandra Piai" <S.M.Piai@...>
                            >Subject: RE: [TDSIG] Harrogate etc
                            >Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2006 11:24:50 -0500
                            >
                            >Greetings, dear TDSIGers (writers and lurkers, as somebody on our list
                            >described herself a few months ago, just reading the postings but too
                            >busy to respond to the various threads)
                            >From our exchanges and other e-mails I have been getting, it seems that
                            >quite a few people won't be able to make it this year. Take good notes,
                            >folks - those who will be there - and then post them for all to benefit
                            >from. The other way of professional enrichment is for all of us to share
                            >things we (and our teaching communities) are buzzing about and consider
                            >particularly enriching.
                            >Take good care & happy spring!
                            >
                            >Elka Todeva
                            >DLTE /SIT
                            >March 22

                            En etkili ve g�venilir PC Korumayi tercih edin, rahat edin!
                            http://www.msn.com.tr/security/
                          • Elka Todeva
                            Message 13 of 23 , Mar 23, 2006
                              Thank you for your note, Sabiha.
                              It will be great if we get summaries of the Ankara discussions.
                              It will be interesting to see, among other things, if regional forums
                              raise different issues as compared with the two biggies, TESOL and
                              IATEFL. I know that JALT (the Japanese Association of Language Teachers)
                              often has a different focus. They even had what they called "sheltered
                              English presentations" for people who have a lot to contribute but feel
                              a little insecure to present in English in front of international
                              audiences.
                              Elka