Re: [TDSIG] TD and the internet

  • Ingrid Gürtler
    Message 1 of 5 , May 1 3:15 AM
      Well, first of all, thank you, Adrian, for fielding the discussion. It has
      made me think a lot about ways in which I could use the internet more
      efficiently. However, I would see this aspect in general as a process of
      becoming more adept and comfortable with new media, because, well, I guess
      we need these skills in the modern world. As far as TD goes, I stick to what
      I said about the benefits of the feedback I get from my learners - it gives
      both sides the opportunity to express themselves thoughtfully and think
      about change and development. So, if I no longer had access to e-mail this
      opportunity would no longer be available. Having said that, when I am on
      holiday I get along wonderfully well without internet or e-mail and I do not
      miss it in the slightest, although I think a lot about teaching - even on
      holiday. In the bigger picture, without these tools I think I would continue
      to put a great deal of thought into becoming my own best teacher - but this
      would have a different quality. I am a little bit reluctant to say a better
      quality. And now I notice that I am beginning to ramble so I will shut down
      for tonight and go to bed.
      Cheers
      Ingrid
      Message 2 of 5 , May 1 2:08 PM
        Well, first of all, apologise for not posting a summary last night but my
        server went down! So there's one black mark against the Internet and email
        as a tool for development.

        To sum up the discussion for the week it appears most people find the
        Internet, and in particular email, has been useful in their development.

        > but I wonder if it's been instrumental?

        Often the focus was on the speed of access and the "overwhelming" quantity
        of information available on the Net. And, certainly, as a tool to connect
        people across great distances ithas certainly made a difference.

        Apart from the 'instrumental' question above, I'd like to post one more
        question:

        > What would happen to your development as a teacher if you no longer had
        access to the Internet and email?

        Thanks to everyone for their contributions and please feel free to carry
        on posting and discussing. I'll chip in when I can.

        Adrian

      • Ranivoarisoa Aimée Virginie
        Message 3 of 5 , May 13 10:25 PM
          dear colleague,
          Hi!
          Thanks a lot for your big courage to undertake this exchange between english teachers.
          For my part, I don' have my own computer available yet as it is still in the former town (antananarivo the capital of madagascar)and I am looking for any means to get it here(in a small town). So, this is why I rarely contribute.

          Anway, I have found that till now, any ideas from different teachers are quite helpful specially for all that haven't the chance to attend conferences organized by IATEFL( like me).But I always evaluate what I do in my classes , I check what happens, what didn' work, and try to find solution. Generally, I have found out that each individual needs specific program to really respond to his or her needs.So, it is up to the teacher to combine all these needs in order to make group studies work.
          That's for now . Again, thank you so much!

          Ranivoarisoa Aim'ee Virginie
          Teacher of English at the Lycee ;