RE: [TDSIG] Awareness is the first step towards development?

  • Jenny de Sonneville
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 3, 2005
      Hi Juliet and All

      Returning to the discussion on Awareness. I would say then that I think
      awareness is essential for development - but that I think reflecting on
      experience is the necessary step before awareness.

      My ideas resonate with Juliet idea of "experience and confidence", as I
      see learning as being most effective when is has a strong base in self-
      confidence.

      I consider that my strong base in self- confidence relates to Julian
      Edges's idea "the best way we do teach is the way we teach now" which
      concerns a level of self acceptance from which we dare to reflect self
      -critically on our own behaviour.

      Now we get back to the point of how do we achieve this strong base of
      self-confidence: I think that in our teacher development/ teacher
      training courses we need a strand of "Emotional Intelligence". I think
      the problem in the past has been that many see the affective side as
      being an extra - a bit soft. But I believe that in the business world
      there is now recognition that strong intrapersonal as well as
      interpersonal skills are extremely important to foster dynamic, creative
      learning environments.

      What I think would be exciting is to design an "Emotional Intelligence"
      strand for TE. I think confidence - building techniques are very
      important and many other issues, like knowing one's strengths and
      weaknesses, motivating oneself and others, dealing with stress, keeping
      focus and concentration in stressful times, team building, dealing with
      conflict (colleagues and learners), recognising and dealing with
      resistance in oneself and others. These are all issues we are confronted
      with in our work - surely through consciousness raising we can become
      better in dealing with them? But instead of dealing with them in a
      hapsnap way I would suggest that there be a more structured curriculum
      approach.

      Jenny