Hello!

  • Diarmuid Fogarty
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 8, 2001
      It might be a good idea if all of  the group members (both of the group members) were to present themselves and say 'hello'. Allow me to begin:

      My name's Diarmuid and I work in FE in England. In previous lives I've worked in Oman, Greece, Spain and various summer schools in England. I've been teaching (or trying to teach) for seven of my 30 years. This last year I seem to have forgotten to teach, but I live in hope that I'll remember how to survive before too long.

      Interests include family (of course), friends, arguing and, in a professional light, trying to find a way of making learners more independent of the teacher and more dependent on themselves and each other. I have a life of bad teaching practice to unravel. I'm currently studying a PGCE in FE (not aimed at EFL teachers but a govt requirement), which is giving me food for thought, although I have precious little time to digest it.

      Ideally, I would like this group to provide (more) food for thought...I have a big appetite...friends, e-mails to brighten up my life and lots of other things. Hopefully, it will develop into a list as successful as my current favourite...the Dogme list.

      Look forward to hearing from you (whoever you are),
      Diarmuid
    • Maria Leedham
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 9, 2001
        And here's the other one!? My name is Maria Leedham and I am a freelance teacher and teacher trainer based in Oxford. I teach in both of the Universities here plus other institutions occasionally. I've previously worked in Japan and still teach monolingual Japanese groups when I can. I'm about to begin an MSc by DL with Aston Univ. and am interested in the teacher as researcher, promoting learner independence and how Japanese learners cope!
        I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's studying by distance learning. Plus anyone else who's successfully completed it!
        Maria