Re: [TDSIG] developing alone

  • Glynnis McCourt
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
      Just a thought in response to the email about developing without
      support: a portfolio? after every teaching session, having a section
      on the lesson plan entitled 'Evaluation' which answers questions like:
      what worked and why; what didn't work and why; how can the session be
      improved?

      >>> colin.mackenzie@... 27/10/2003 14:08:35 >>>
      This group has been dormant for a little while and yahoo are asking
      questions so I thought I'd bring up an issue that was raised in
      Brighton this year which is: How do you develop without support. In
      other words, what can you do to develop when you feel you are doing
      it alone. Initial ideas I can think of are: subscribe to teaching
      publications; use discussion groups (such as this one?); read; try
      action research, but I am sure there are many more.

      So, has anyone managed to develop in difficult circumstances and how
      did you do it? Does anyone feel that they can't develop because they
      have no-one to bounce ideas off? Does anyone have ideas on developing
      alone?

      Colin

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
    • Maria Leedham
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
        Yes, i tend to do this in the margin of my plan - often as basic as ticking
        and double ticking parts that went well and very brief comments on anything
        that wasn't so good, and why.
        If I use my own books of activities, I write comments in them re size of
        group it worked well with, extra lexis needed, materials, and so on. I just
        can't hold all this stuff in my head and need to commit it to paper! Maria

        > Just a thought in response to the email about developing without
        > support: a portfolio? after every teaching session, having a section
        > on the lesson plan entitled 'Evaluation' which answers questions like:
        > what worked and why; what didn't work and why; how can the session be
        > improved?

        > This group has been dormant for a little while and yahoo are asking
        > questions so I thought I'd bring up an issue that was raised in
        > Brighton this year which is: How do you develop without support. In
        > other words, what can you do to develop when you feel you are doing
        > it alone. Initial ideas I can think of are: subscribe to teaching
        > publications; use discussion groups (such as this one?); read; try
        > action research, but I am sure there are many more.
        >
        > So, has anyone managed to develop in difficult circumstances and how
        > did you do it? Does anyone feel that they can't develop because they
        > have no-one to bounce ideas off? Does anyone have ideas on developing
        > alone?
        >
        > Colin

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >

        > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They are
        not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

      • Colin Mackenzie
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
          Thanks Glynnis and Maria
          I agree that evaluating lessons is a really good idea. It sounds a
          bit like a teacher diary that you're suggesting Glynnis. I've often
          been tempted by the idea, and started one time but didn't manage to
          carry it through. Has anyone been successful at keeping a diary? How
          did you do it? And what benefits did it bring?

          >Yes, i tend to do this in the margin of my plan - often as basic as ticking
          >and double ticking parts that went well and very brief comments on anything
          >that wasn't so good, and why.
          >If I use my own books of activities, I write comments in them re size of
          >group it worked well with, extra lexis needed, materials, and so on. I just
          >can't hold all this stuff in my head and need to commit it to paper! Maria
          >

          >> Just a thought in response to the email about developing without
          >> support: a portfolio? after every teaching session, having a section
          >> on the lesson plan entitled 'Evaluation' which answers questions like:
          >> what worked and why; what didn't work and why; how can the session be
          > > improved?

        • Glynnis McCourt
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
            Hi Colin
            I wasn't suggesting a diary - I have found I never keep it up. I just
            have a 'box' at the bottom of my lesson plan for brief comments. Just
            having the box there is a reminder to think about what I've just done.
            I find THAT easier to keep going, and to look over with a context to
            remind me what I am talking about in the box. It is also there for
            other people, for a portfolio if that is kept, and for any supply
            teachers to look over. It is also there for the next time I want to
            teach a similar lesson, grammar point or topic.

            >>> colin.mackenzie@... 03/11/2003 21:07:37 >>>