developing alone

  • colinfrance
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
      This group has been dormant for a little while and yahoo are asking
      questions so I thought I'd bring up an issue that was raised in
      Brighton this year which is: How do you develop without support. In
      other words, what can you do to develop when you feel you are doing
      it alone. Initial ideas I can think of are: subscribe to teaching
      publications; use discussion groups (such as this one?); read; try
      action research, but I am sure there are many more.

      So, has anyone managed to develop in difficult circumstances and how
      did you do it? Does anyone feel that they can't develop because they
      have no-one to bounce ideas off? Does anyone have ideas on developing
      alone?

      Colin
    • Landry
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2003
        One way to stay in touch is to check out a webcast.
        It is sometimes difficult to bounce ideas off the
        people around you as there seems to be so many other
        things going on.

        Koreabridge

        http://koreabridge.com/kotesol/index.htm

        has finished webcasting a webcast from the Kotesol
        Interational Conference in Seoul, Korea
        LOTS of Multimedia Kotesol 2003 Webcast - many
        featured presentations and interviews with Dave
        Sperling, Brian Tomlinson, Donald Freeman, David
        Nunan, Marc Helgesen & more

      • kalina
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 30, 2003
          Dear Landry and All,
          Could I ask what webcast is?
          And it's just occured to me that probably the problem is not about
          developing alone. Whether we like it or not we are alone and we do develop
          alone. The problem I think, is how to keep curiosity alive
          > One way to stay in touch is to check out a webcast.
          > It is sometimes difficult to bounce ideas off the
          > people around you as there seems to be so many other
          > things going on.
          >
          > Koreabridge
          >
          > http://koreabridge.com/kotesol/index.htm
          >
          > has finished webcasting a webcast from the Kotesol
          > Interational Conference in Seoul, Korea
          > LOTS of Multimedia Kotesol 2003 Webcast - many
          > featured presentations and interviews with Dave
          > Sperling, Brian Tomlinson, Donald Freeman, David
          > Nunan, Marc Helgesen & more

        • Glynnis McCourt
          Message 4 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
            Just a thought in response to the email about developing without
            support: a portfolio? after every teaching session, having a section
            on the lesson plan entitled 'Evaluation' which answers questions like:
            what worked and why; what didn't work and why; how can the session be
            improved?

            >>> colin.mackenzie@... 27/10/2003 14:08:35 >>>
            This group has been dormant for a little while and yahoo are asking
            questions so I thought I'd bring up an issue that was raised in
            Brighton this year which is: How do you develop without support. In
            other words, what can you do to develop when you feel you are doing
            it alone. Initial ideas I can think of are: subscribe to teaching
            publications; use discussion groups (such as this one?); read; try
            action research, but I am sure there are many more.

            So, has anyone managed to develop in difficult circumstances and how
            did you do it? Does anyone feel that they can't develop because they
            have no-one to bounce ideas off? Does anyone have ideas on developing
            alone?

            Colin

            Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
          • Maria Leedham
            Message 5 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
              Yes, i tend to do this in the margin of my plan - often as basic as ticking
              and double ticking parts that went well and very brief comments on anything
              that wasn't so good, and why.
              If I use my own books of activities, I write comments in them re size of
              group it worked well with, extra lexis needed, materials, and so on. I just
              can't hold all this stuff in my head and need to commit it to paper! Maria

              > Just a thought in response to the email about developing without
              > support: a portfolio? after every teaching session, having a section
              > on the lesson plan entitled 'Evaluation' which answers questions like:
              > what worked and why; what didn't work and why; how can the session be
              > improved?

              > This group has been dormant for a little while and yahoo are asking
              > questions so I thought I'd bring up an issue that was raised in
              > Brighton this year which is: How do you develop without support. In
              > other words, what can you do to develop when you feel you are doing
              > it alone. Initial ideas I can think of are: subscribe to teaching
              > publications; use discussion groups (such as this one?); read; try
              > action research, but I am sure there are many more.
              >
              > So, has anyone managed to develop in difficult circumstances and how
              > did you do it? Does anyone feel that they can't develop because they
              > have no-one to bounce ideas off? Does anyone have ideas on developing
              > alone?
              >
              > Colin

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              >

              > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They are
              not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

            • Colin Mackenzie
              Message 6 of 7 , Nov 3, 2003
                Thanks Glynnis and Maria
                I agree that evaluating lessons is a really good idea. It sounds a
                bit like a teacher diary that you're suggesting Glynnis. I've often
                been tempted by the idea, and started one time but didn't manage to
                carry it through. Has anyone been successful at keeping a diary? How
                did you do it? And what benefits did it bring?

                >Yes, i tend to do this in the margin of my plan - often as basic as ticking
                >and double ticking parts that went well and very brief comments on anything
                >that wasn't so good, and why.
                >If I use my own books of activities, I write comments in them re size of
                >group it worked well with, extra lexis needed, materials, and so on. I just
                >can't hold all this stuff in my head and need to commit it to paper! Maria
                >

                >> Just a thought in response to the email about developing without
                >> support: a portfolio? after every teaching session, having a section
                >> on the lesson plan entitled 'Evaluation' which answers questions like:
                >> what worked and why; what didn't work and why; how can the session be
                > > improved?

              • Glynnis McCourt
                Message 7 of 7 , Nov 4, 2003
                  Hi Colin
                  I wasn't suggesting a diary - I have found I never keep it up. I just
                  have a 'box' at the bottom of my lesson plan for brief comments. Just
                  having the box there is a reminder to think about what I've just done.
                  I find THAT easier to keep going, and to look over with a context to
                  remind me what I am talking about in the box. It is also there for
                  other people, for a portfolio if that is kept, and for any supply
                  teachers to look over. It is also there for the next time I want to
                  teach a similar lesson, grammar point or topic.

                  >>> colin.mackenzie@... 03/11/2003 21:07:37 >>>