New Year's Resolutions

  • Diarmuid
    Message 1 of 10 , Sep 8 1:58 AM
      As most (all?) of us are either preparing to return or have returned to the grindstone, ready to introduce the joys of the English language to overl enthusiastic, highly motivated students, it's time for some new year's resolutions. Anybody have any that they would like to share? The idea is that they will be related to the job and, why not, professional development.

      Looking forward to reading all about them. Perhaps one of them could be, "I resolve to support the SIG discussion list." Just a thought...

    • yoileen76
      Message 2 of 10 , Sep 8 2:37 PM
        --- In TDSIG@y..., "Diarmuid" <diarmuidfogarty@o...> wrote:
        > I resolve to create new activities for my children as well as for
        my elementary level students. I resolve to make them talk more in
        English and be mor epatient with them (I'm extrmely patient but I'll
        try to be even more!). Anyway, I'll try to develop more interesting
        exercises, activities, use more songs, etc. I want them to feel
        confortable and at ease in class so interesting activities help, as
        well as getting all the help form the teachers and other students. i
        want to create a friendly environment. I think I'll get it. My
        resolutions are easy to get!!! Don't you think so?
      • Maria Leedham
        Message 3 of 10 , Sep 11 2:57 AM
          Mine is: I resolve to continue with my MSc TESOL (Aston by DL) and relate it
          to my current teaching wherever possible.
          Broad I know - will probably be my aim for the next THREE years!!

          Maria Leedham (Oxford)

          > As most (all?) of us are either preparing to return or have returned to
          the grindstone, ready to introduce the joys of the English language to overl
          enthusiastic, highly motivated students, it's time for some new year's
          resolutions. Anybody have any that they would like to share? The idea is
          that they will be related to the job and, why not, professional development.

          > Looking forward to reading all about them. Perhaps one of them could be,
          "I resolve to support the SIG discussion list." Just a thought...

          > Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They are
          not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

        • kalina nikolova
          Message 4 of 10 , Sep 13 4:13 AM
            Hello Diarmud,
            As usual I have a whole bunch of resolutions in my head and as this is
            causing me a real problem, I guess the first one will be : learn to set
            priorities.
            OK. Proirity No1.
            Set up a support group for teachers particularly teachers working one2one so
            I would welcome support and ideas from colleagues from all over the world.
            So if any one has any experience with either setting up or participaring in
            such a group PLEASE share experience!
            Thank you!
            K.Stamenoff

            >From: "samadder" <samadder@...>
            >To: <TDSIG@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [TDSIG] New Year's Resolutions
            >Date: Sat, 13 Sep 2003 03:50:35 +0100
            >
            >Hello Diarmud, My resolution this year is to be on top of things; a
            >difficult one , but worth trying! Apu.

            kg

          • Diarmuid
            Message 5 of 10 , Sep 14 3:41 AM
              It's good to see that there are people out there! Good luck with the resolutions. Personally, I aim to keep a CPD Portfolio throughout the year...inspired by the Pre Conference Event this year.

              Kalina would like to set up some kind of teacher support group and asks for help and advice. I would welcome any hints about portfolios. Apu needs to keep on top of things and Maria is going to keep on with her MA at Aston. I can't help but wonder what the other 40 of you are hoping to do this academic year. I know that work is ever present and then there are a million and one other things to do, but this list might be able to help you either with work or with one of the million and one other things. It also depends on you to survive!

              Perhaps Kalina could let us know a little bit more about this teacher support group she would like to set up. Who's it for? What will its aims be? Why does she think there's a need for it? Let us know, Kalina, and let's see if anybody else can help you out.

            • kalina nikolova
              Message 6 of 10 , Sep 14 4:19 AM
                Dear Diarmuid,

                It's equally as good to see a prompt reply as well! I'm confident there are
                even more of us out there on the road to better education :)
                Thanks for asking me about support group objectives as this helps me
                structure it better.
                What does CPD stand for?
                Regards,
                Kalina

                >From: "Diarmuid" <diarmuidfogarty@...>
                >To: <TDSIG@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: Re: [TDSIG] New Year's Resolutions
                >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 11:41:47 +0100
                >
                >It's good to see that there are people out there! Good luck with the
                >resolutions. Personally, I aim to keep a CPD Portfolio throughout the
                >year...inspired by the Pre Conference Event this year.
                >
                >Kalina would like to set up some kind of teacher support group and asks for
                >help and advice. I would welcome any hints about portfolios. Apu needs to
                >keep on top of things and Maria is going to keep on with her MA at Aston. I
                >can't help but wonder what the other 40 of you are hoping to do this
                >academic year. I know that work is ever present and then there are a
                >million and one other things to do, but this list might be able to help you
                >either with work or with one of the million and one other things. It also
                >depends on you to survive!
                >
                >Perhaps Kalina could let us know a little bit more about this teacher
                >support group she would like to set up. Who's it for? What will its aims
                >be? Why does she think there's a need for it? Let us know, Kalina, and
                >let's see if anybody else can help you out.

                kg

              • Terry Matfield
                Message 7 of 10 , Sep 14 7:40 AM
                  Dear Diarmuid and all,
                  First let me congratulate Diarmuid, once again, on his initiative and
                  persistance on this list. I�ve been a dormant member of the group for almost
                  a year. Every time I see a message in my inbox with Diarmuid�s name on it I
                  get a pang of guilt for never answering! So I decided to clear my
                  conscience!

                  I decided to join this group because I�m interested in finding ways of
                  helping teachers to help themselves - this is because teacher training and
                  development is part of my job.
                  With respect to portfolios, Jan posted a good description her ideas last
                  year (see message no. 77).
                  Where I work we�ve just implemented a staff appraisal scheme whereby staff
                  will be asked to carry self-assessment and will receive feedback from peers
                  and other members of staff including me, as the academic coordinator, and
                  members of the admin staff. Of course with respect to teachers, the main
                  objective is to encourage reflection and promote change and improvment. I
                  have hesitated at actually asking teachers to start a portfolio because it
                  seems to me that is a very substantial undertaking requiring a lot of
                  valuable time much may cause resentment. Also, not having a portfolio of my
                  own, I don�t feel qualified to ask other teachers to do it.

                  So this brings me to my resolution (I�ll have to call it mid-year resolution
                  here in Brazil as the academic year follows the calendar year) which, like
                  Diarmuid, is to start my own teaching portfolio.

                  To help with the task I found some very good advice and accounts of teachers
                  that have done portfolios in "Pursuing Professional Development" - Bailey,
                  Curtis and Nunan published by Newbury House, Chapter 12 Teaching Portfolios:
                  Cogent Collages. The opening quotation helped convince me :
                  "The teaching portfolio as a strategy for professional development is based
                  on the premise that the best assessment is self-assessment. Teachers are
                  more likely to act on what they find out about themselves (Green and Smyser,
                  1996, x)."

                  Diarmuid, I�m interested in knowing more about your CPD portfolio and the
                  pre-conference event you refer to?

                  Terry

                  Message 8 of 10 , Sep 14 7:50 AM
                    CPD: Continuous Professional Development. It's another one of those sets of initials that come creeping in to the field and which annoying people use, omitting to explain what they stand for. My apologies! Apologies to yoileen as well for forgetting to include her resolutions in the summary. How I could have forgotten them, I don't know. They were certainly the most ambitious...

                  • kalina nikolova
                    Message 9 of 10 , Sep 14 7:55 AM
                      No need to apologise! I was the one who did not know it:(
                      How can I learn something more about the other members of the group?
                      Is anyone attending the IATEFL Conference in Sofia at the end of September?

                      >From: "Diarmuid" <diarmuidfogarty@...>
                      >To: <TDSIG@yahoogroups.com>
                      >Subject: Re: [TDSIG] New Year's Resolutions
                      >Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 15:50:06 +0100
                      >
                      >CPD: Continuous Professional Development. It's another one of those sets of
                      >initials that come creeping in to the field and which annoying people use,
                      >omitting to explain what they stand for. My apologies! Apologies to yoileen
                      >as well for forgetting to include her resolutions in the summary. How I
                      >could have forgotten them, I don't know. They were certainly the most
                      >ambitious...

                      kg

                    • samadder
                      Message 10 of 10 , Sep 12 7:50 PM