I am an EFL teacher educator currently completing an MSc in Computer-Based
Learning and Training at Southampton University. The purpose of this e-mail
is to request responses to the questionnaire below. The data collected will
inform my dissertation.
My research is into the professional development needs that newly qualified
ESL teachers may have in their first few years of employment following a
pre-service certificate, and which might be partially met online through
provision of a web site managed by a teacher educator.
It is my intention to design an effective online resource that will provide
development opportunities at a distance for those who have few local
opportunities. A trial version based on the questionnaire responses of a
closed group of ex-CELTA trainees is already available at www.celt-ic.org.uk
It would very beneficial to get feedback from you on the trial version of
this online resource, as well as informed opinions on the provision of
professional development opportunities by distance/electronically.
I would like to assure you that your name and contact details will be held
in strict confidence. Analysis and discussion of the data will not reveal
identities. When the dissertation is complete, the findings will be
available at www.soton.ac.uk/~pta101/home .
P.S. If any teachers known to you might benefit from participating in
www.celtic-org.uk , then I am very happy for them to use the site and join
the associated mailing list.
1. Briefly describe your experience as a teacher educator.
2. If more time was available on pre-service certificate programmes, what
else might you include?
3. Do you make use of computers in teacher education? If so, in what ways?
4. Are you aware of any existing Web-based resources for ESL teacher
development? Please type the address(es) here.
5. What is your opinion of the module choices on www.celt-ic.org.uk ?
6. Can you suggest other content suitable for the first years of a teacher's
7. What are your impressions and opinions of the methodologies of
8. Can you suggest other, perhaps more effective ways for new teachers to
learn online and at a distance?
9. What should the web site manager�s roles be?
10. How directed should professional development activities be for newly
11. How could the manager of the web site gradually encourage new teachers
to become more reflective and autonomous?
12. Any further comments?
Please e-mail your responses to pta101@...
MSN Photos is the easiest way to share and print your photos: