Research into online teacher development

  • Peter Andrews
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 16, 2002
      Dear folks,

      I am an EFL teacher educator currently completing an MSc in Computer-Based
      Learning and Training at Southampton University. The purpose of this e-mail
      is to request responses to the questionnaire below. The data collected will
      inform my dissertation.

      My research is into the professional development needs that newly qualified
      ESL teachers may have in their first few years of employment following a
      pre-service certificate, and which might be partially met online through
      provision of a web site managed by a teacher educator.

      It is my intention to design an effective online resource that will provide
      development opportunities at a distance for those who have few local
      opportunities. A trial version based on the questionnaire responses of a
      closed group of ex-CELTA trainees is already available at www.celt-ic.org.uk
      .

      It would very beneficial to get feedback from you on the trial version of
      this online resource, as well as informed opinions on the provision of
      professional development opportunities by distance/electronically.

      I would like to assure you that your name and contact details will be held
      in strict confidence. Analysis and discussion of the data will not reveal
      identities. When the dissertation is complete, the findings will be
      available at www.soton.ac.uk/~pta101/home .

      Many thanks!

      Peter Andrews

      P.S. If any teachers known to you might benefit from participating in
      www.celtic-org.uk , then I am very happy for them to use the site and join
      the associated mailing list.

      Questionnaire

      Name:

      E-mail:

      1. Briefly describe your experience as a teacher educator.
      2. If more time was available on pre-service certificate programmes, what
      else might you include?
      3. Do you make use of computers in teacher education? If so, in what ways?
      4. Are you aware of any existing Web-based resources for ESL teacher
      development? Please type the address(es) here.
      5. What is your opinion of the module choices on www.celt-ic.org.uk ?
      6. Can you suggest other content suitable for the first years of a teacher's
      career?
      7. What are your impressions and opinions of the methodologies of
      www.celt-ic.org.uk ?
      8. Can you suggest other, perhaps more effective ways for new teachers to
      learn online and at a distance?
      9. What should the web site manager´┐Żs roles be?
      10. How directed should professional development activities be for newly
      qualified teachers?
      11. How could the manager of the web site gradually encourage new teachers
      to become more reflective and autonomous?
      12. Any further comments?

      Please e-mail your responses to pta101@... .
      Thanks again!