Re: [TDSIG] Any advice?

  • Glynnis McCourt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 1, 2002
      Hi!
      Re your last question - not exactly the same, but what about 'Still waters run deep' or maybe better 'Diamonds come in small packages' (as opposed to dynamite!)
      As for the FE issue - what about Global English - what English should we teach, the local accent/std etc. On a more bureaucratic level - curriculum development/teaching hours/our situation where we have to fit in with an FE structure but are essentially behave like a private organization ???
      Just some thoughts
      Glynn

      >>> diarmuidfogarty@... 04/30/02 07:34pm >>>
      I'm currently doing a PGCE in Further Education and for my third assignment we have to 'research a professional issue'. The course is largely aimed at the more general FE side of education and there are many such professional issues that are covered by this, eg the teaching of Basic Skills to ESOL students, funding for FE, various government reports etc. However, I'm finding it difficult to identify a professional issue in the field of EFL.

      In case of it being a case of not being able to see the wood for the trees, I'd be interested to hear any suggestions. The 'research' we have to do is not MA-style research, simply a critical summary of the literature available. The area would need to be more about the pedagogical side of EFL rather than the linguistic side...any suggestions would be valuable!

      And while I'm holding the begging bowl, on behalf of a Venezuelan student, does anyone know of a saying/proverb that would equate with the Spanish saying, 'When you do something grand, go to bed without saying anything' [something like 'Cuando hagas algo grande, acu├ęstate sin decir palabra']. It's a warning against bragging. The closest I can think of is 'Nobody likes a show-off', but if there's anything better, I'll pass it on.

      Apologies to those who are going to read this on two lists! I'm desperate...

      Any views expressed on this list are of the person posting them. They are not necessarily views held or shared by IATEFL or the TDSIG.

    • samadder
      Message 2 of 4 , May 4, 2003
        Diarmuid, Hello and thank you for the welcome to the group.I am now
        referring to a topic for your third assignment, although it might be too
        late at this point in ime. The fact that constantly showed in my experience
        in FE Colleges that I worked in was the attitude amongst teachers teaching
        EFL and ESL/ESOL. The snobbery attached to EFL teaching is overt and covert
        and needs to be dealt with in a more serious manner than has been done so
        far. Although there have been attempts at different levels, even in our
        IATEFL Conference recently, there is a lot yet to be done in the whole
        approach to terminology we use in teaching English to people with a
        different !st Language. Apu