Own-language use in the ELT classroom: a survey

  • grahaminthebay
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2012
      Dear colleagues

      Northumbria University and the Open University in the UK, in conjunction with the British Council, are carrying out a survey into the use of the learners' own language in the English language classroom. The survey asks teachers about their experiences of, and views about, the use of learners' own language in their teaching. We are interested in finding out what English teachers do (or don't do), the activities they use, and the reasons for this.

      The survey is therefore for English language teachers. It should take approximately 20 minutes to complete and answers are completely confidential. (Note: `English language teachers' is a deliberately broad criteria for taking part in the project and includes, for example, those who teach EFL, ESL, ESOL, EIL, ESP, EAP and so on, those who both teach language and train teachers, who teach and manage etc.).

      I'm circulating this message to the TDSIG list, therefore, in the hope that list members, if you teach English (I myself am no longer eligible, for example!), might have time to complete the survey; additionally, if list members think the survey may be of interest to their local ELT teaching community and/or other contacts, please feel free to forward the link!

      The survey is available online at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/ownlanguageuse

      For further information about the project, visit:
      http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/sd/academic/sass/about/humanities/englishhome/staff/linguisticsstaff/g_hall/ownlanguageuseproject/?view=Standard

      If you would prefer to complete the survey as an e-mail attachment, contact Alison Twiner (alison.twiner@...) or Graham Hall (g.hall@...).

      And, of course, if you have any comments or queries, just get in touch (off-list, at g.hall@...)

      Many thanks