Re: [TDSIG] Assessment II

  • Amanda Smith
    Message 1 of 8 , Mar 12, 2002
      Sandra,
      Could you explain what you mean by 'surface errors'?
      Cheers,
      Amanda

      >From: Sandra Piai <smp6@...>
      >To: <TDSIG@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: Re: [TDSIG] Assessment II
      >Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:55:17 +0100
      >
      >In answer to your question Colin, I think it depends perhaps on what levels
      >you are marking at/for. I was talking about a distance learning programme
      >where this is the only form of feedback a student gets. Formative
      >assessment at the end of an assignment can include surface errors, mistakes
      >in referencing, as well as detailed comments on content, etc. Summative
      >assessment at the end of the same assignment can include the grade (if one
      >is given) and comments on why assignment has or has not achieved achieved
      >certain grade/level. These comments are surely also a form of feedback as
      >they give the student an indication of what was missing or what they have
      >done really well.
      >
      >Sandra
      >

      >on 26/2/02 8:39 am, Colin Mackenzie at colin.mackenzie@...
      >wrote:
      >
      >Sandra wrote: Is summative assessment really for people other than
      >learners?
      >Surely it also includes feedback for the learner? In my experience of
      >marking assessments on an MA Distance programme that is one of its
      >purposes.
      >
      >Diarmuid wrote: "*more often than not* for people other than learners."
      >
      >Incidentally, if it is summative, what use is the feedback? Isn't feedback
      >what makes assessment formative?
      >

      >Colin writes: Again, I think it depends whose assessment. If it is the
      >learners summative assessment, then they may well want feedback, and if
      >they
      >are very independent learners, this feedback doesn't necessarily have to
      >affect their assessment.

      >Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
      ><http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

    • Sandra Piai
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 12, 2002
        Yes, I mean things like typos, spelling mistakes, punctuation! Not errors
        in content.

        Sandra

        on 12/3/02 6:05 pm, Amanda Smith at teflmandy@... wrote:

        > Sandra,
        > Could you explain what you mean by 'surface errors'?
        > Cheers,
        > Amanda
        >

        >> From: Sandra Piai <smp6@...>
        >> To: <TDSIG@yahoogroups.com>
        >> Subject: Re: [TDSIG] Assessment II
        >> Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 13:55:17 +0100
        >>
        >> In answer to your question Colin, I think it depends perhaps on what levels
        >> you are marking at/for. I was talking about a distance learning programme
        >> where this is the only form of feedback a student gets. Formative
        >> assessment at the end of an assignment can include surface errors, mistakes
        >> in referencing, as well as detailed comments on content, etc. Summative
        >> assessment at the end of the same assignment can include the grade (if one
        >> is given) and comments on why assignment has or has not achieved achieved
        >> certain grade/level. These comments are surely also a form of feedback as
        >> they give the student an indication of what was missing or what they have
        >> done really well.
        >>
        >> Sandra
        >>

        >> on 26/2/02 8:39 am, Colin Mackenzie at colin.mackenzie@...
        >> wrote:
        >>
        >> Sandra wrote: Is summative assessment really for people other than
        >> learners?
        >> Surely it also includes feedback for the learner? In my experience of
        >> marking assessments on an MA Distance programme that is one of its
        >> purposes.
        >>
        >> Diarmuid wrote: "*more often than not* for people other than learners."
        >>
        >> Incidentally, if it is summative, what use is the feedback? Isn't feedback
        >> what makes assessment formative?
        >>

        >> Colin writes: Again, I think it depends whose assessment. If it is the
        >> learners summative assessment, then they may well want feedback, and if
        >> they
        >> are very independent learners, this feedback doesn't necessarily have to
        >> affect their assessment.

        >> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service
        >> <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

        Sandra Piai
        University of St Andrews
        ELT
        Kinnessburn
        Kennedy Gdns
        Fife KY16 9DJ
        Scotland

        email: smp6@...

        tel: 0044 01334 462262 fax: 0044 01334 462270