Awards 2008

  • Purrsia
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 20, 2008
      It's getting to be that time of year again, and I figured late
      September might be a good time to wake up the gruop and discuss the
      coming awards. Things won't get rolling til after the new year, but
      leading up to that, we put out the call for volunteers and ideas.

      Volunteers need this time in the fall the prepare so we might as well
      see who wants to do what. Typical jobs include:

      General Overseer – The "boss" of the group. Any group that functions
      well has to have a leader and someone with the final word, and this
      person is it. They'll also be responsible for setting up and
      enforcing overall rules, maintaining documents, fielding questions
      about such things, and enforcing and setting deadlines on the other
      team members. The overseer is also the one who sets up the nomination
      database and the voting polls, along with announcing the winners upon
      conclusion.

      Advertising Czar – Runs publicity for the group and the awards by
      posting on the boards and getting web masters to promote the
      activity, doing so at key intervals – at the start of the process as
      well as when each new phase begins or is about to conclude to remind
      folks to join and participate. You drum up support for us!

      Award Graphic Designer – Requires someone with decent photo program
      skills to come up with an award design for each award to be given out
      in all major award categories. This might entail creating dozens of
      graphics, so consider before committing to the task. These will be
      what winners are emailed to display at their discretion.

      Fan Fiction Category Head – Is in charge of that award category and
      has freedom to set which specific awards to hand out (best author,
      best drama, and so on) as well as the requirements needed to be
      nominated for each. Keep in mind these are fandom awards, designed to
      honor fans. As such, I must say if you do want to include
      professional work to compete, they must have their own category and
      not go up against fan works (i.e. create a separate "pro awards" type
      section). We also do not do mock awards or "worst" type awards – keep
      it positive please! Responsibilities also include scouring the Web
      for eligible work for compiling on a reference list of possible
      nominees. Working URLs must be included and items must meet not only
      criteria the Category Head set forth, but also fit within the overall
      guidelines of the Awards (See Rules). This is the time consuming
      tedious part, so take that into consideration before volunteering. In
      the nominating phase, you will be expected to check the database and
      weed out any nominees that don't qualify for a given award in your
      area and also help field questions regarding eligibility and other
      issues concerning your area of these awards.

      Fan Art Category Head – Is in charge of that award category and has
      freedom to set which specific awards to hand out (best artist, best
      digital art, and so on) as well as the requirements needed to be
[...]

      Fan Site Category Head – Is in charge of that award category and has
      freedom to set which specific awards to hand out (best overall, best
      layout, and so on) as well as the requirements needed to be nominated
[...]

      Yeah, I usually do the Overseer bit, but if someone really wants to
      try that hat on for size this year, be my guest. I'll resume the role
      if I get no takers.
      But we definitely need volunteers for each of the jobs above, so if
      any of you want to help, I accept people on a first come, first serve
      basis. If more than one person is interested in an area, I generally
      encourage them to work together as a team on the job - there's
      nothing wrong with that and in fact, it's quite helpful.

      Also, if anyone thinks we can improve or should change some of the
      process from the past, by all means - let's discuss it before things
      really get rolling. They are doing some things different at the
      Voltron Awards this year (or I should say last year - the 07 awards
      are just starting over there O_o) and I'm watching to see how well
      that goes. A few things, I think we'd discussed over here before but
      they got pooh-poohed for one reason or another. It's interesting to
      see it in action over there, though. Not entirely sure it's
      preventing what it's designed to prevent, though.

      Basically, they're running nominations in the database, but instead
      of everything going on to voting, only the top three things move on.
      Nomming the same thing more than once is actually ENCOURAGED.
      Obviously, with the anon nature, you can inflate the popularity of
      your pick (or ego forbid, YOURSELF) at the last minute. But if nobody
      gets so bold, there are a lot of one-way ties at the moment, so how
      that'll be narrowed down to three picks per award, I'm not sure.

      I think if we tried something like that here, there would have to be
      another method to try to ensure everyone only noms once per award.
      Maybe an email method or something. Though that kills some anonymity.
      But at least if someone uses sock-puppet emails, the tell-tale IP is
      always there to weed out that funny business.

      Ah fandom awards - serious business! LOL

      Enough of my rambling. Anyone have two cents? Three? Hit me with it.

      Purrsia